Last Updated on
Best Fillet Knife 2020
- Incredible extra thin blade allows the greatest flexibility and control ever.
- PTFE non-stick coating lets fillets effortlessly fall away.
- Razor-sharp handground stainless steel blade features through tang construction.
- Polished brass ferrule.
- Tooled leather sheath.
Rapala fillet knife boasts of exceptional design with an extra thin, flexible stainless steel blade. This fillet knife comes with a non-stick coating that gives your filleting a seamless experience. The full tang construction makes the blade anchored securely into a durable birch baked handle.
It also comes with a genuine sheath leather that allows easy transport and safe storage. For extra portability, the sheath comes with a belt loop. It comes with 3 blade options, 4,6,7.5 inches to meet your various filleting needs.
Comes with a leather sheath for secure storage
Birch handle for a firm grip
A sharp blade with excellent edge retention
· Handle may chi
- DIMENSIONS: 8.5” handle length and weighs 1.11 lbs
- EASE OF USE: Non-Slip Grip handle for outstanding grip security providing ultimate knife control with a trigger guard for added security
- DURABLE: Dual-rivet blade design is coated in TiN stainless steel and features an ergonomic trigger
- CONVENIENT: Blades are removable for easy cleaning and can be stored in a special section of the zippered storage case and the handle features an LED battery life indicator to ensure you always have a functioning knife
- INCLUDES: 7” E-FLEX, 9” E-FLEX, 9” E-STIFF and 12” E-STIFF Blades, wall charger, (2) lithium ion batteries and a premium EVA case for storage and transport
Bubba Li-Ion Cordless Electric Fillet Knife comes with excellent design with high performance. The stainless-steel non-stick blade will prevent your IKRblade from rusting. The tang design ensures you have total control of your filleting by giving you stability while working. The handle is made from rubber materials to ensure safety and maximum comfort. The blade is perfectly curved to give you an excellent cut. It also comes with a red sheath for storage.
A non-stick coating that prevents rust
Finger and thumb pad for excellent grip
· Takes some practice
- DIMENSIONS: 15” overall length with 9” blade
- EASE OF USE: Non-Slip Grip handle for outstanding grip security providing ultimate knife control with trigger grip for added security
- RELIABLE: Features safety guards for protection from the blade and spines of fish
- DURABLE: Ideal for detailed precision cutting, a super thin 8Cr13MoV blade allows for effortless maneuvering to easily remove meat without loss, making it the ideal fishing knife
- CONVENIENT: The Ti-Nitride coated, rust resistant blade cuts through scales easily and features an extra sharp tip to make starting your cut a breeze and a sheath with a belt loop for close, hands free carry
Finger and thumb pad for full control
Stainless-steel blade with complete tang construction
Large handle that offers full grip
Comes with a custom black sheath
This is a long and tapered flexible knife. It comes with a 7 inches blade, and a 6 inches long handle. The stainless-steel blade promotes stability and strength. The rust-resistance property makes it an ideal tool for fishing because saltwater cannot make it rust.
The grip is firm, and it gives you full control when you are filleting, so also is the finger and thumb pad. The handle gives you a firmer grip and is made from thermoplastic polymer wrapped in synthetic rubber. This is the best Fillet Knife in 2020.
- Silver creek folding Fillet
- Category name: kitchen
- Made in USA or imported
Extra sharp blade with titanium coating
Foldable to improve portability
Doesn’t have a belt loop
This is a unique foldable knife with an extra thin and flexible blade. It is 6.5 inches long with a titanium coated stainless-steel blade. The handle is made from rubber and has grooves for a firm grip. Also, for safety purposes, it comes with an integrated safety guard for the stainless steel blade.
- A Dalstrong culinary revolution combining outstanding and award-winning craftsmanship, cutting-edge breakthrough technology, awe-inspiring design, and the absolute best materials available. Peak performance never looked so good at this price.
- Unrivaled Performance: Ruthlessly sharp scalpel like edge is hand finished within a staggering 8-12°degree angle per side. Nitrogen cooled for enhanced harness, flexibility and corrosion resistance. Full tang for superb robustness and triple riveted for even more resilience.The narrow blade curves up towards the tip to easily work around bone, joints and in-between skin with minimal drag.
- Dalstrong Power: Ultra sharp AUS-10V Japanese super steel cutting core at 62+ Rockwell hardness for extraordinary performance and edge retention. 66 layers of premium high-carbon stainless steel for exceptional strength, durability and stain resistance. Perfectly balanced, the precisely tapered blade minimizes surface resistance while the 2.00 mm thick blade provides just enough flex to follow any contours.
- Engineered to Perfection: Ultra-premium G-10 handle is impervious to heat, cold and moisture. Military grade with life-long durability. Handpolished ergonomic handle shape is engineered for superior hand control, agility and comfort.
- Dalstrong Trust: We know you'll love it! 100% SATISFACTION OR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, try it risk free. LIFETIME WARRANTY against defect. Renowned Dalstrong customer service. See why chef’s, butchers, bakers, culinary students and home cooks around the world trust and love, ‘The Dalstrong Difference’. Now you are slicing with POWER. Dalstrong POWER!
This knife features an intelligent and outstanding design and combines the best materials. The sharpness of the edge is unrivaled, and it is Nitrogen-cooled to improve flexibility. This makes it corrosion-resistant.
Comes with G-10 handle form for superior edge retention
Strong stainless-steel blade
Not flexible enough
What is a fillet knife?
A fillet knife is a type of knife used for filleting fish. It is designed for this single purpose.
To have a pleasant filleting experience, you have to go for the best fillet knife. There are a thousand and one fillet knives in the market, how then do you identify the best one? To give you a clearer picture of what you should go for, we have compiled a guide to aid you through your buying process.
What you should watch out for in the best fillet knife
The blade that your fillet knife carries matters a lot, and it is even regarded as the most crucial part of the knife. This is because it determines how clean your cut will be, as well as the nature of the cut.
The blade that your fillet knife carries must be made from durable materials that will make it corrosion resistant because the knife works in a wet environment, especially salt water, and this may reduce the performance of your blade.
A stainless-steel blade is the most common blade you will find on most fillet knives. This is because they are corrosion resistant.
Grip and handle comfort
Having the perfect grip on your fillet knife without any form of discomfort gives you total control of your cutting. Therefore, you want to go for a knife that fits into your hands perfectly with maximum comfort. It makes the whole cutting process – slicing and dicing seamless, faster, and more comfortable.
Besides, if you are out fishing, you will most likely be handling the knife with a wet hand, and what this means is that a non-slip grip is what will help you keep the knife from slipping off. Also, if you are handling the knife with gloves on your hands, you will need a firm grip to handle the knife properly to make proper cuts.
While shopping for the best fillet knife, you will come across knives with different handles. The traditional handle is either made from leather, wood, or plastic material. Any of these handles will work for you, so choosing one depends on your personal preference. The only thing you want to consider is if it will make your cutting and slicing fast and easy.
Size of the knife matters
You may not think that size is an essential factor to consider in a fillet knife. Size is vital in any hand tool, and knives are not an exception to this rule. This is why you have to pick the correct size of the blade and knife. The size of the knife will determine the level of ease you will get while cutting and filleting a fish. The size of the fish you are planning to fillet will also determine the size of the knife you are going to need. So, you want to make sure that you have the right size of knife for every size of fish that you will be filleting.
The average size for fillet knives ranges between 4 – 9 inches long.
It is no brainer that shorter knives are the best for smaller fish such as crappie. Medium-sized fish such as bass or trout- around 7 and 7 and a half inches long, will need medium knives. While larger blades are ideal for larger fish, this is because of broader girth and more surface area.
You should also consider transportation and storage before you determine the blade size that you will go for. You may want to consider a folding knife if you are short of space, as it will help you make the most use of your space.
The strength of your blade is as important as the size of your blade. You want to make sure the blade you are buying will do the job perfectly well without any issue. Fillet knives come in various levels of thickness.
Therefore, the thickness of your knife determines the flexibility of your knife. A flexible knife comes in handy, especially when you are using it on a small fish, also suitable for removing bones. However, flexible knives are not so good for slicing larger fish because the more flexible a blade is, the less its strength.
Shorter blades are more flexible because they are used on smaller fish which have tighter angles to deal with.
Electric Fillet Knife
There is also an option to buy an electric fillet knife. You will want to go for this if you will be filleting a lot of fish. After a successful fisher, you want to rest. So, fillet all your fish as fast as possible is all you will ever wish for.
Most electric knives are multifunctional, and they will allow you to change your blade at will. This will help you cut different sizes of fish and server different cutting purposes. This is a handy knife for people that fish in areas with different varieties of fish. Getting different types of knives will be needless.
Sharpening stone and knife sheath
You will find out that a sheath comes with most knives in the market. This is perfect for storage. It covers your knife and helps you store it in a tackle box, or in a cupboard. Make sure always to cover your knife when it is not in use to reduces the chances of cut injury.
You need not be told that your knife will get blunt over time of continuous usage. Some knives come with a small sharpener that is hand-held. You can use this sharpener to sharpen your knife for quick use.
Getting a knife that comes with an extra sharpener is of great benefit, as the sharpener that comes from the manufacturer is custom-built for the knife.
Unpopular uses of fillet knives
Fillet knives are multi-purpose and are not limited to just filleting. They can serve many other purposes in your kitchen. The shape, sharpness, thickness of fillet knives is what makes them useful for other purposes in the kitchen.
We have listed some of the other uses of fillet knives below.
Fillet knives can efficiently remove scales on the body of a fish. You can also use them on other small games like quail, rabbits, or squirrels, which demand a delicate approach to remove or trim the fat. A long and sharp knife is perfect for this task, and the fillet knife suits this description.
Preparing fruits and vegetables
A fillet knife can be used to process fruits and vegetables conveniently. Whether you are trying to peel off the hard covering of an avocado or slicing a pepper, a fillet knife makes the whole process easy and fast. Fruits with thin skin are difficult to slice, but a thin knife will slice through perfectly.
Fillet knives come in handy in cutting irregular vegetables like jicama, beets, and potatoes, also, for removing corn from the cob.
Benefits of having a good fillet knife
A fillet knife lets you separate meat from the bone. The better your fillet knife, the better your result.
A fillet knife is thin enough to lift the meat from the bone of the fish.
A good fillet knife will serve you for many years
It helps you minimize meat loss while separating it from the bone.
It helps you clean even freshly captured fish
It makes filleting faster and easier
How to sharpen your fillet knife
One thing that makes your fillet knife standout is the sharpness. No matter how good your knife is, its sharpness reduces over time, and it builds a should around the sharp edge. More than any other ting, keeping your fillet knife sharp is a top priority.
A sharp knife helps you complete your filleting very fast. Besides that, using a blunt knife is more dangerous because you have to apply more pressure when you are using it. This can make it slip out of your hand to hurt you.
Unfortunately, not many people know the right approach to sharpening their fillet knife. If you fall under this category, we have you covered.
Firstly, we will take a look at the basics.
The first indication that your knife is getting blunt is the appearance of burr. Burr is a raised piece of metal on the edge of your knife. Don’t expect that burr is visible, but a simple hand test will help you detect it, place your knife on a flat surface, and rub your finger on it to detect the burr.
These are materials that you can use to sharpen your knife asides metallic surfaces. They include materials like diamond, oxide stones, synthetic Waterstones, synthetic aluminum, and many others.
Maintaining the same angle all through your sharpening exercise is consistency.
You can have either a polished or a rough edge after sharpening your knife. However, having a polished edge is more durable, and it reduces maintenance costs.
A fine piece of stone can get you a polished, sharp edge.
Now to the main issues
Using a sharpening stone
This is a very effective way of sharpening your fillet knife. The level of sharpness that you get depends on the angle and the technique that you apply.
Sharpen your knife by sliding the cutting edge over the stone. For easy sliding, start from the back end of the knife.
Using an electric sharpener
This is the simplest method of sharpening your knife. No skill required.
There are two stages involved when using an electric sharpener. In the first stage, all you need do is pull the knife until you have achieved your preferred sharpness.
The honing stage is the second stage. This is required to prevent the knife from getting dull.