Last Updated on
Best Gaming Modems 2020
- Leading edge 1.8 GHz 64 bit quad core CPU accelerates loading
- Dynamic optimization prioritizes traffic to eradicate latency
- AC5400 tri band Wi Fi over one 2.4 GHz and two 5 GHz bands
- MU MIMO and AirTime Fairness maximize total throughput and response rates. Power Supply 100 240V 50/60Hz
- RangeBoost strengthens reception and beamforming sends targeted Wi Fi to keep devices connected at farther distances than other routers
TP-Link AC5400 Gaming Router is the best online gaming modem. It comes with Tri-Band feature and Voice Controls. Its Tri Bands are one 2.4 GHz and two 5 GHz, bands. TP-Link AC5400 Gaming Modem has an amazing design to max internet speed. It operates on a strong Quad-Core 1.8 GHz 64-bit CPU to your advantage of the first operation. This modem will have no speed or performance issues. Link aggregation makes it powerful and increases the connection speed. Your connected devices are protected with its inbuilt antivirus software.
Online gaming specialized
Download at high-speed
Protection from cyber threats
Strong operating system
Also includes voice controls of Alexa
Dynamic optimization for low latency
Includes powerful antivirus
2 USB ports
You may have to change QoS settings
TP-Link AC5400 Tri Band Gaming Router is the first choice when it comes to Best Gaming Modems in 2020.
If you are looking for the best, it doesnt get much better than this.
- Minimize ping and maximize performance with four 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports for lag free, wired connectivity and 1.7 GHz dual core processor network efficiency
- Amp up your WiFi with AC2600 dual band router that delivers blazing fast speeds up to 2.6 Gbps
- Put your gaming traffic in a designated express lane with advanced Quality of Service, bypassing network congestion and reducing lag spikes, jumps and jitters
- Make every millisecond count by using geo filtering to connect to the closest servers and players so you can respond and dominate
- Monitor your network and game ping in real time so you can see who’s hogging the bandwidth by device and application
Netgear makes many amazing gaming modems. Netgear Nighthawk XR500 Pro Gaming is a beautiful gaming modem, in design and performance. It contains a WAN and four LAN ports that can transfer data at high speeds of a gigabit per second. The two USB ports are provided on the side for ease of use. The software is an all-rounder for speed boosting technologies using the DumaOS software by NetDuma. The bandwidth is excellent at QoS settings. Netgear Nighthawk has a geo-filtering feature to limit or set the distance between your gaming server and your location to connect with.
Best for online gaming
Design with low-latency time
Excellent performance and range
Includes 4 Ethernet ports
Real-time monitoring of game
Netgear Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500 is the among the best gaming modems in 2020.
This is the best option if you can afford it.
- ETHERNET PORT CONFIGURATION: 8 Gigabit ports and 2 Multi-gig/10G ports
- CONFIGURATION & CONTROL: Management software with easy-to-use GUI interface offers basic capabilities to configure, secure, and monitor your network
- MODERN DESKTOP DESIGN: The "cool-touch" zinc-alloy outer housing matches its high gaming performance inside
- WHISPER-QUIET DESIGN: Reduces fan noise to protect your home office or business environment
- PEACE OF MIND WARRANTY: Covered by an industry-leading 3-year limited hardware warranty
Netgear is synonymous with best performing gaming modems and products. Netgear Nighthawk SB8000 is the best for those on a budget. 8-Port Gigabit gaming modem has a gaming switch with Ethernet ports. You can hold lan parties and connect multiple devices to the wired network. 8-Port Ethernet is an excellent solution for those suffering from speed issues. This means High-Speed downloads. The model looks similar to other series in the Nighthawk version, but the device is somewhat smaller than other routers. There are friendly blue LEDs on the front as well as back to give a clear indication. Netgear Nighthawk has a great web interface rather than the installation of any software. This makes setup easy and faster.
Online gaming optimized
Supports link aggregation
3-year limited warranty
Contains 8 Ethernet Gigabit ports and four 10G ports
Latency in close-to-zero for high resolution
Faster internet for high-speed downloads
Fully managed for business uses
Integrated NETGEAR insight app
NETGEAR S8000 Nighthawk 8-Port Gigabit Gaming Switch is the best budget gaming modem.
- THREE-IN-ONE CABLE MODEM, AC1900 ROUTER, AND XFINITY COMPATIBLE VOICE PORTS - Includes 24X8 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem, AC1900 Dual Band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) Gigabit Router, four Gigabit (GigE) Ethernet ports, and two XFINITY Voice compatible phone ports. This product is approved by Comcast for Xfinity Internet and Voice, and recommended by Comcast for XFINITY Internet service speeds up to 400 Mbps.
- REQUIRES COMCAST XFINITY INTERNET SERVICE. Approved by and for use with Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1. This product will not work with any other Internet service provider.
- ELIMINATE UP TO $156 IN CABLE MODEM RENTAL FEES PER YEAR – Say goodbye to monthly rental fees and landline phone costs.
- BUILT-IN HIGH-SPEED ROUTER WITH AC1900 WIRELESS AND POWER BOOST - provides Internet access for WiFi devices including smartphones, notebooks, tablets, and more. Four 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports provide wired connections to Windows and Mac computers and other Ethernet-capable devices. A Broadcom cable modem chipset provides security from Denial of Service attacks.
- WIRELESS POWER BOOST FOR BETTER SPEED AND RANGE - adds high-performance WiFi power amplifiers to boost the wireless signals to the legal limit, giving a significant boost in speed and range. In addition, AnyBeam beamforming at both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies focuses the signal on wireless clients to further enhance performance and range. NOT included is a backup battery option (Model 98250) that allows your phone to make calls for 8 hours on standby after power loss.
Motorola MT7711 is the best Modem Router combo. It is a three-in-one device with Comcast XFINITY compatible voice ports and AC1900 router. The gaming modem supports a maximum wireless speed of 1900 Mbps along with dual-band Wi-Fi. It supports a channel bonding of 24/8 DOCSIS 3.0 technology that is a preferred and cheap technology over the newer DOCSIS 3.1 version. To support the RJ-11 telephone jacks, it has two VoIP ports of telephone lines. Having the modem, you are not required to buy an external Wi-Fi router as every accessory is already included in the box. This modem proves to be the best for 400 Mbps of internet tiers. It uses the stable and most reliable Broadcom BCM3384ZU to give you the top-notch performance.
Modem Router combo model
Includes optional battery backup
Great hardware and cable modem capabilities
Inbuilt high-speed router
Great customer support
Doesn’t break your budget
Download and internet speeds good enough for most households
Does not contain USB ports
400 Mbps internet speed
Motorola MT7711 24X8 Modem/Router is the Best Gaming Modem Router combo.
A great device at a great price.
- 10X’S THE SPEED: Most routers in this price range have only “Fast Ethernet” ports that max out at 100Mbps. Our router has Gigabit ports to give you 1,000Mbps for lag-free 4K video streaming & gaming.
- RANGE: Beamforming and 2 high powered antennas work together to cover larger homes by focusing the wireless signal directly to your device
- SAFE: Robust firewall and wireless security keeps out unwanted visitors while Guest Network access gives a separate safe and secure connection to guests
- FULL CONTROL: Are the router lights too bright? Turn them off! Are your kids staying online too late at night? Restrict access to only the times you want
- RANGE EXTENDER: Extend any existing wireless network using the Universal Range Extender Mode to cover even larger areas & keep all your devices on the same network
Medialink AC1200 is the a gaming modem that is the best option for those that only need AC1200. The ports are enough to give the fastest speed as possible. You can enjoy as high as the speed of 1000Mbps for lag-free online gaming and video streaming. The modem utilizes the Beamforming technology for enhanced performance, and it also comes with two additional antennas for maximizing the speed and coverage range. The device is unique because it has exclusive features of parental control, setting the data cut off limits, usage restrictions, and many more. There is a unique feature with “Range Extender Mode” to cover all your devices easily in a single network.
The simple interface even if you are not tech-savvy
Compatible with several modems, including Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum or Time Warner, etc.
Quick access to stored music and photos
Full parental controls
Includes Range Extender Mode
Connect with more than 20 Wi-Fi devices and products
Consists of four Ethernet ports
Has to be setup
Medialink AC1200 Wireless Gigabit Router is the best if all you need is AC1200 Gaming Modem.
What is the Best Gaming Modem 2020?
Gamers cannot do without Gaming Modems. Gaming hardware includes keyboards, mice, headsets, etc. To provide them lifeblood, we need to have a reliable and high-quality gaming modem. As they are specifically designed for enhancing gaming experiences, there is a notable difference in QoS with regards to the regular modem and a gaming modem. They are all set to send the data exactly where it is required at the time of gaming.
While picking the best gaming modem, you need to consider a few things in your mind, which we discuss below. But before jumping into the factors, you should check for the features of gaming modems.
What is a gaming modem/router?
A gaming modem/router is specifically designed to give low lag and low ping while playing online games. This is necessary for the best gaming experience. They offer faster connectivity even while playing games in LAN parties. Even the high-quality gaming modems have multiple LAN ports for wireless as well as a wired connection. The main reason for buying a gaming modem is the prioritization of data transfer that it gives to your gaming console or PC.
Features of Gaming Modems/Routers
QoS (Quality Of Service)
As discussed earlier, QoS is the main difference between regular routers and game routers. A QoS allows the quick adaptability of servers with your home interne. It will do a job of prioritization of data towards your game. There are many performance worthy QoS tools available in the market, such as Qualcomm’s StreamBoost, etc. These kinds of tools can automatically adjust your shifting demands of the home network. QoS is something that enables you to get the best gaming experience.
Most of the gaming modems come with wireless standards. This allows you top connect your laptops, consoles, and PCs. Currently, the common wireless standard used is 802.11ac. There are successors to it, such as 802.11ax, 802.11ay, etc. Also, the current internet mostly uses 2.4GHz and 5GHz.
RAM And Processor
Powerful gaming modems use more reliable, faster, and more powerful RAM and CPUs. Increased memory and power means the ability to handle more connections and decreased latency. Furthermore, the good RAM and Processor features also show advanced QoS. The best modems have the most powerful of both.
Gigabit Ethernet refers to the number of ports a gaming modem has. However, it also depends upon your home network’s capability to add the name of wired devices in the future. More Gigabit Ethernet ports mean ultra-fast and a large number of reliable connections. It also depends on the internet connection you get from your provider.
A gaming modem can provide one, two, or three bands. However, if a router is worthy and gives a high-end performance, then it may contain tri-bands that can support three channels at once. For instance, some of the gaming routers use one 2.4GHz and two 5GHz bands for the purpose.
Prioritize Gaming Modem Traffic In The Best Way
After purchasing the gaming modem, your first task is to configure or prioritize their network. Given below are some best ways possible to configure your gaming modem traffic.
When they are prioritized by the network, the wireless connection are given priority over the wired connection. Always set it to give priorty to your gaming device.
It means setting a priority to specific video or game over the network. When you provide access to a particular app over the network, it means you are prioritizing by service.
MAC Address Prioritization
MAC is a unique identifier for your device. It’s a proper prioritization technique to connect the device to the gaming modem based upon the address.
IP Address Prioritization
IP Address prioritization is similar to MAC address priority except that it sits on the IP address to which we give preference over the other IP addresses to the gaming router.
Factors To Be Considered Before Buying The Best Gaming Modem
Check out the undoubtedly essential things before purchasing the best gaming modem this year.
Speed is the first concern in buying a gaming modem. The transfer speed of gaming modems vary. Some gaming modems support wireless connections while other support Ethernet. Both of them have advantages as well as disadvantages. It is seen that wired connections give out fast internet speed. However, Wi-Fi modems are better performers in the case of online games. On the other hand, wired connections do not provide flexibility to use. So, you can choose between them depending upon your preference.
Support Of ISP
It will be useless to buy a gaming modem that doesn’t comply with your ISP’s ISP’s network. So, before buying a modem, check for the ISP it supports so that you will not end up buying a useless modem. Fortunately, most of the high-tech modems support most ISPs.
Connection reliability is one of the best metrics of gaming modems. Wired connections give ultra-fast speeds as compared to wireless because of obstacles in the way of Wi-Fi routers. However, you can individually check the reliability of your internet connection in Wi-Fi signals if you want to buy a wireless gaming router.
Docsis 3.0 Technology
DOCSIS 3.0 is an older version of DOSCI 3.1, but it is far more famous than the latter. This technology can provide data transfers at high bandwidth and faster data speeds.
Other than the useless features provided to increase the price of the modem, look out for the helpful additional features such as number or Ethernet or USB ports. They are a great advantage to have in a gaming modem, uniquely if your house is equipped with data-hungry persons. These kinds of features also help to enhance the connectivity of the modem.
Buy Router And Modem Combo If Required
If you come across a significantly featured combo of router and modem, do not miss it. Look out for the other features and reviews, and if they are satisfactory, go for the combo than buying separately. There may be two downfalls of purchasing a router and modem separately. The first limitation is that you have to spend extra money than you spend on buying a combo. Another limitation is that you may encounter difficulties in sync your router of other companies with the modem of another company.
Latency Of Network
Latency is the time taken by a data packet to reach the game server from your computer. Indeed, the latency timing should be low for a gaming modem to be considered. The best gaming router contains the latency of 20 to 30 milliseconds. The gaming experience will be worse if the latency will be 150 milliseconds or more.
Last update on 2020-01-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API