Last Updated on
There used to be a time when many of us would wrap our cell phones in plastic bags just to be able to
take them into the shower. Singing in the shower is a notoriously common habit. There’s just something
about the bathroom that makes your voice echo and hit high notes perfectly.
Lucky for us, technology has advanced leaps and bounds over the last several years, and now, it’s
possible to continue our karaoke session in the shower without any worries.
However, a shower speaker is one of those technologies that do not get the appreciation they deserve.
Well, we’re here to change all that. We’ve been doing our research on some of the best shower
speakers on the market and think you should invest in at least one of them – that is, if you’re ready to
give the walls a performance of a lifetime.
Here are five of the best shower speakers we’ve found.
- Audio:Maximum Sound Level: 85dBA. Frequency Range: 108Hz - 20kHz. Drivers: One 2" driver and Two " tweeters.
The UE Roll 2 is not very different from its original model, which is great because it retains the colorful
waterproof fabric on the front and the plastic piece on the back. The design is extremely user-friendly
and comes with a handle in case you want to hang the speaker on or near your shower.
You’ll find the volume buttons etched on the front for easy access, a mini USB port on the bottom and
the power and Bluetooth controls located on the back. The Bluetooth boasts a 100-foot range, although
it works fine until 70 feet before the sounds begin crackling. If there are a few obstructions between
yourself and the speaker, there’s a chance you might only manage a 30-foot distance.
The sound quality, however, is above average. Playing songs on low volume is the best, but you can raise
it and still get decent bass effects.
One drawback with the UE Roll 2 is that the playback options are very limited since you cannot change
or skip tracks. The battery life also drains quickly if you play songs on maximum volume.
Waterproof and user-friendly design
Weak playback controls
Unstable battery life
UE Roll 2 is a good bargain for someone who’s looking for basic shower speaker features.
2. JBL Charge 3
- Bluetooth - Wirelessly connect up to 3 smartphones or tablets to the speaker and take turns playing powerful stereo sound.
- Battery type : Lithium-ion Polymer (22.2Wh)2) 20 hours of playtime(varies by volume level and content)
- IPX7 Waterproof
- Take crystal clear calls from your speaker with the touch of a button thanks to the noise and echo-cancelling speakerphone.
- Build your own ecosystem by connecting multiple JBL Connect enabled speakers together to amplify the listening experience.
The standout feature of JBL Charge 3 is that it is completely waterproof. You can submerge it fully under
water and still hear the music just fine. The speaker is made of a soft plastic material that protects it and
gives it a good grip. It’s also fairly compact.
On the bottom, you’ll find a series of lights that indicate how much battery power you’re left with.
Meanwhile, the USB port is safely hidden behind a rubber flap. The Bluetooth range is moderate, giving
you an easy 60 feet without obstructions. It’ll reduce to 30 feet if you do have a wall or other objects in
front of you, but even then, the sounds don’t crackle or break up.
The playback controls here allow you to pause and skip music. You can also raise and lower the volume
with the same button. However, there is no option to go back to the song you were listening to.
The battery life is good with a 20-hour playback time. Sound quality is also good as you can listen to your
music on the highest volume and the drums will never pierce through the speakers.
Good sound quality
Long battery life
If you tend to be clumsy in the bathroom, the waterproof design will keep your speaker safe. It’s a good
combination of sound and battery life.
- Waterproof, Dirt proof, Shockproof
- Now with stereo linking, the Swimmer Duo gives you more robust sound and better sonic range. Easily link two together and listen to each one as true left and right speakers.
- Loop your Swimmer around virtually any object and for a secure fit, pull the tail through the open slot and twist its end to any side.
- Stick the Swimmer to just about any surface with its suction cup attachment for surprisingly better bass response and even more mounting options.
- Take the Swimmer's tail and reconfigure it any way you see fit. It doubles as a support base so you can set it up for great sound just about anywhere.
The Boom Swimmer is waterproof, dirtproof and shockproof, making it the ideal choice for someone
who’s low maintenance and just wants to get in the shower to begin the party.
The speaker comes in a unique S-shaped design that can be easily placed on a shower handle. You can
wrap the tail to any hard platform you like. It also has a suction cup feature, meaning you can attach it
to just about any surface in your bathroom.
All controls are mounted across the soft rubber, cylindrical design, so you don’t have to look for your
phone each time you want to skip or pause a song.
What really is attention-grabbing is the two-in-one handsfree calling feature, so you can lose yourself in
your music yet still be connected to the outside world. The Bluetooth will give you a range of 50 feet
easily without obstruction.
Furthermore, the Boom Swimmer Duo has decent sound quality to boast. The stereo system feature can
easily fill the room and get pretty loud, which is perfect for some rock and roll headbanging. However, battery life is a bit questionable and lasts a maximum of 8 hours.
Great sound quality
Low battery life
Unless you’re up for really long showers, this speaker will fulfill all your shower karaoke needs easily.
- CRISP, BALANCED SOUND and unmatched bass for a Bluetooth speaker its size, plays loud & clear outdoors for beach days or camping trips
- WATERPROOF speaker from the Inside out (Ipx7 rating), with soft, rugged exterior, resists dents, cracks and scratches
- EASILY PORTABLE with a Tear resistant strap to bring it wherever you go, strap to your backpack, cooler or handlebars
- UP TO 6 HOURS of play time from a rechargeable battery and wireless Bluetooth pairing. Wireless range up to 30 feet
- BUILT IN SPEAKERPHONE for taking calls out loud and voice access to your phone's Siri or your Google assistant. Speaker Dimensions : 3.87 Height X 3.87 Width X 1.37 Depth inches.Silicone rubber for SoundLink Micro's exterior
Made of a soft rubber material, the SoundLink Micro has an excellent speaker design. It is compact,
portable and easy to grip. The speaker comes with a silicone strap that’s pretty resistant to wear and
tear and lets you mount it on various surfaces.
The device also features a speaker mode that lets you take calls even when your phone is not with you.
You also get to speak to Google’s assistant while you’re at it.
The Micro’s sound system is a key feature. When you raise the volume, it can get pretty loud and still
give you premium quality. The balance between the bass and treble is a great experience for anyone
wanting to perform a shower concert.
However, there are a few caveats. While it can withstand submersion in water for a maximum of 30
minutes and you can still hear the music, it sounds like it’s drowning.
The battery life is disappointing as well. You’ll barely get 5 hours when you’re operating on maximum
volume. Plus, it takes longer to charge than it does to maintain the same ratio of playback time.
Good sound quality
Low battery life
For those who like to dance in the shower, this device can be hooked practically anywhere. It offers
great sound quality, but don’t count on the battery life.
5. Jam Hang Up
- UP TO 8 HOURS PLAYTIME: Have your party go late into the night without worrying about charging your speaker
- WATER & DUST PROOF -IP67 RATED: The Hang Up is designed to keep the music going through just about anything. The IP67 rating means it's dirt-proof and submersible in water up to one meter for 30 minutes
- SPEAKERPHONE: You can answer your phone without disconnecting from the Hang Up. Hang Up knows when a call is coming in and will pause the music before ringing
- SPEAKERPHONE: When you hang up, the music starts where the track left off. If you're making a call, just start dialing from your phone, the Hang Up automatically does its hands-free thing
- AUX-IN PORT: No Bluetooth, no problem. The aux-in port allows you to hook your Hang Up to your device with a 3.5mm cable so you can enjoy your music wherever you are
The Jam Hang Up is made of a soft plastic material that leaves it resistant to wear and tear. The best part
is that the silicone panel in the back features a sticky pad, so you can attach the Hang Up to the
bathroom walls if you like.
We were surprised how strong the adhesive was. It doesn’t fall from the wall, even if you’re blowing
steam in the shower.
The playback controls are large and well-placed around the plastic borders. The Bluetooth system is just
satisfactory, although that shouldn’t dampen your expectations because this speaker does come with an
aux cord to ensure your music keeps playing.
The Hang Up boasts a 2-in-1 handsfree calling feature, so your music will temporarily pause when a call
is incoming and will resume playing once you’re done talking.
The battery life is long-lasting and offers great sound quality for a bargain price.
The speaker claims to be dust- and water-resistant, but it can only remain submerged in water for 30
minutes. The device works best with the sticky pad; if you place it on the ground, the bass gets muffled.
Sticks to any smooth surface
Long battery life
Sounds get muffled when placed on surfaces
This speaker gives you more than what you’re paying for, so feel free to overlook any design flaws.
Buying Guide: Things to Consider while buying the best Shower Speaker
Not all shower speakers are built the same. Before you put your hard-earned money on the counter,
look for these features to ensure you’re getting the best shower speaker in the market.
1. Battery Life
If you’re someone who enjoys taking long showers, battery life is something you shouldn’t compromise
on. Good battery life will definitely ramp up the costs. For the pricier models, you can expect up to 15
hours of playback on just a single charge, while the cheaper ones can get you up to 8-10 hours at most.
Also, take note of the charge and playback ratio. A speaker will be of little use to you if you spend more
time charging it than playing it in the shower.
2. Sound Quality
Most shower speakers aren’t studio quality, but that doesn’t mean you need to accept the ones with
harsh, piercing audios. Sometimes, the sound quality is impacted by the surface you place your device on.
Check if the bass or treble alters too much with surface reflection and try to avoid such models.
The sound quality is going to affect the overall price. Make sure you experiment with all the low,
medium and high volumes before making the purchase. Avoid models where the battery drains quicker
when you play at max volume.
3. Wireless Connection
How strong is the Bluetooth range? Most speakers will be able to work at 25 to 35 feet away from your
phone, so don’t be surprised by that. If you want a strong wireless connection, aim for 80 feet and
above without obstruction.
Also, check if the sounds crackle or become muffled if there are obstacles on the path from the phone to
the speaker. In such a case, you will be forced to place your device and speakers at basically the same
place each time you use it.
When you’re in the shower, the least you’d expect your shower speaker to do is be waterproof, so don’t
compromise on the material. Synthetic plastic or soft rubber exteriors are great because they allow you
to grip the object with wet hands. A device that is shock-resistant and dustproof is an added bonus.
Even better would be if all your controls are present on the surface of the speaker so that you don’t
have to run to your phone each time you want to change a song. If you want something that is multi-
purpose, other features like handles and straps will let you mount your speaker anywhere and even let
you travel with it.
5. Call Modes
Many new shower speakers come with a built-in call attending feature. The number one thing you need
is for all calls to be attended handsfree. There is no benefit to wireless speakerphone if you have to
walk back to your phone with dry hands to receive a call.
Try getting a device that can be easily linked to your phone. Also, as an added bonus, it’ll help if your
music automatically pauses when you get a call so that you can answer it immediately and once you are
done, the music should resume right after. Do check if the sound quality is acceptable in the echo of a
bathroom and you can hear your caller with relative clarity.
The best shower speaker is much more than just a music playing device. It’s a travel companion and a
handsfree call enabler too. This is why you will have to look beyond the sound quality before making a
purchase. Always look for extra features in the models you shortlist because they don’t always come
It’s true that you get what you pay for, but there are some expensive shower speakers that aren’t
waterproof. Additionally, they can drain your battery life really fast if you decide to play your music on
loud volume. As disappointing as that can get for your impromptu concert, remember that there are
some great bargains in the market that will give you some versatile features.
Use this buying guide and go get yourself a shower speaker that lets you sing your heart out!
Last update on 2019-09-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API