Last Updated on
Best Sushi Knives 2019
- 16 Layers of VG-10 Hammered Damascus
- Stain-Resistant, Blade may appear darker in picture due to lighting conditions
- Double-Edged Blade
- Mahogany Handle
- Hardness Rockwell C Scale: 60
Yoshihiro is a Japanese company that specializes in making the best Japanese kitchen knives. The
techniques used to make these knives are centuries old that came straight from the hands of the
traditional craftsmen that were skilled in dealing with iron, fire and water.
Yoshihiro’s Cutlery Hammered Damascus Sujihiki knife is a combination of beauty, skill and tradition. It
works perfectly as a cutting tool and doesn’t ruin the beauty of your food.
It is forged using the old technique of Damascus and has 16 layers of steels as well as a VG- 10
It is the best knife to carve meat, vegetables as well as slice through fish and other difficult
ingredients such a cucumber and soaked salmon.
The knife is handcrafted and personalized with the craftsman’s or the Brand’s bane written on
There isn’t much to complain about except the pricing as it is expensive ($139 USD) for a knife
but like all good things this is worth all the money.
If you want to learn to cut the ingredients like a pro, then you must choose the right tool for it and
Yoshihiro’s Cutlery Hammered knife is the best one to start your journey with.
- Sushi Knife
- Japanese Magnolia Handle
- Single Bevel
Each handcrafted sushi knife from Japan has a long lineage of traditional craftsmanship. The tip of any
knife tells you where the craftsman of a particular knife belongs to. This knife has that personal
ownership prominent in design.
The blade of this knife is crafted from strong ‘white steel’ that is turned into a ‘wrought iron’
after traditional forging. All of this is done through traditional handcrafted methods.
Each of these knives are single beveled, meaning they can cut the slices of a fish’s meat without
breaking the slice.
The handle of the knife is made up of mahogany wood and the lamination has made the knife
The single beveled knife is efficient in cutting the slices of fish, but this is also a downside as it
requires extra care. The blade is more prone to breakage due to its unique design.
If you are not a careful person and tend to break things more often, or if you’re not keen on maintaining
your equipment all the time, then this product is not for you as it is fragile because of its single beveled
- Japanes style yanagiba knife, used for slicing ultra-thin slices for dishes such as sushi and sashimi
- Made with Daido 1K6 high-carbon, stainless steel for superior edge retention
- Unique, single-sided blade design,embellished with the japanese character for' wasabi'
- Blades are bead-blasted to an attractive finish, handle is sturdy, clean polypropylene blend
- Dishwasher safe, hand washing recommended; limited lifetime warranty, made in Japan
Kai Wasabi Black Yanagi-ba Knife is famous for its cutting skills. Cutting sushi and sashimi is not as easy
as it seems since the slices are more prone to breakage due to thin slices.
The knife’s blade uses Daido 1K6 high-carbon stainless steel that has high durability and
firmness like no other.
Kai’s Wasabi Black Knife is a traditional knife with a single sharpened edge that’s paired with a
modern styled handle. The handle uses polypropylene and bamboo that gives antibacterial
The product is dishwasher safe as well as comes with an impressive lifetime guarantee.
As mentioned before, sushi knives with good quality are expensive and Kai’s Wasabi Black Knife
is no exception.
Though this knife is expensive but a comparison shows that it is cheaper than some of its peers. So, if
you want to sharpen your cutting skills and become a pro in cutting sushi and sashimi, this is the knife
HIROSHI Premium Sushi & Sashimi Chef’s Knife – 6.5’ Ultra High Carbon Steel Blade – (Beech Wood
- Hand forged, hand sharpened and hand assembled
- Ultra hard high carbon and stain resistant steel
- Beautiful Solid wood handle
- 8" blade with Mirrored glaze
Finding an efficient knife to slice through fish into ultra-thin pieces is hard but not impossible. The
handcrafted knives are expensive but they deliver the best performance. Despite knowing this, people
want to get the best deal and look for cheaper alternatives.
HIROSHI is a centuries old craftsmanship that dates back to when their first ancestor worked for the
monarch of that time as a metalworker and etched his name in the knives’ handles he crafted.
The blades for these knives are hard and sharpened and assembled by human hands.
The knives’ handle is lightweight meaning it is convenient to take with you while travelling.
This knife is Santoku knife and is one of the three knives used in the sushi and sashimi
preparations. The word, Santoku, means ‘three virtues’ which means that the knife is suitable
for cutting vegetables, meat as well as sushi rolls.
The product is cheaper than the rest of the sushi knives.
Though the knife is within your budget but it still has some downside as the handle is
lightweight and can raise complications of balance.
If you are a beginner and want to improve your skill, but are not willing to spend hundreds of dollars on
your first knife purchase then this is the best option for you.
Kitchen + Home Non Stick Sushi Knife – The Original 8 inch Stainless Steel Non Stick Multipurpose Chef
- DESIGN – Our 13” nonstick multipurpose chef knife is crafted with high quality surgical stainless steel that delivers flexibility and precise cuts with minimal effort. The thin, aerated blade design reduces sticking, creates less friction and makes the knife lightweight and easy to control. Superior quality high carbon stainless steel 8” razor sharp blade provides maximum sharpness, durability and edge retention.
- NONSTICK – The entire metal blade is coated in PFOA free, nonstick, food grade “Teflon” coating. Not just coating, we took it a step further and added 10 holes to the cutting edge to further reduce friction and improve performance. Our aerated blade design coupled with the nonstick coating helps prevent food from sticking so you can effortlessly glide through raw fish, vegetables, meats, sushi, cheeses and more. It’s nonstick, so cleanup is easy. Dishwasher safe, but hand wash is recommended.
- VERSATILE – Our razor sharp, stick-proof stainless steel blade is perfect for portioning and cutting delicate food such as raw fish, and slicing sushi rolls without tearing or crushing. Not just for sushi, this knife was also designed as a multipurpose chef knife. Cut through chicken, beef, vegetables, fruits, cheeses and more with less effort. Thanks to its advanced rocker blade design, this knife also makes mincing and chopping herbs quick and easy.
- PREMIUM QUALITY – Get the same results that expensive professional level cutlery provides, but at a fraction of the cost. Made from high quality surgical carbon stainless steel that will not rust or tarnish. The ergonomic handle is made of nonporous, nonslip ABS to ensure a safe grip and a comfortable yet lightweight design to minimize fatigue from repetitive cutting. Premium materials and craftsmanship make this the perfect knife for residential, commercial and professional use.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY – Stop shopping around for fancy alternatives that won’t cut any better and put our knife to the test with a risk free 30 day 100% Satisfaction or Money Back Guarantee. We are so confident in the quality of our knife that for the past 30 years, every knife has been backed by our full manufacturer’s Lifetime Warranty, so you can buy with confidence!
Kitchen + Home present their all in one purpose knife that has more than one quality.
It uses high quality stainless steel with high carbon that gives it immense hardness.
Even though it has high carbon content, the handle and the design give it some sort of flexibility.
The blade is non stick and 100% PFOA free with holes at its edge that improves friction.
Stainless Steel is bound to perform lesser than the handcrafted high carbon blade.
Though we do recommend to stay away from stainless steel and westernized sushi knives, but if you
need to save some money while improving our skills, then this is your knife!
If you are a food or a cooking enthusiast then you’ll know that all the different flavors the world has to
offer are exciting, unique and above all, endless. Each country has their own delicacies and it can take a
long time to savor them all.
Japan is famous for Sushi and Sashimi, both of which are so famous worldwide that there are
restaurants in almost every other country that serve them. You don’t even have to visit Japan to eat the
best Sushi or Sashimi.
What is Sushi?
People might confuse Sushi as eating neatly cut raw fish, but Sushi is actually the serving of wrapped rice
that can have raw fish and vegetables as its stuffing. It was originated in South East Asia and later found
refuge in Japanese culture.
As mentioned above, the dish is particularly famous for neatly cut fish slices. How is it achieved? This is
all because of unique cutting equipment commonly known as Sushi Knife.
Introducing the Traditional Japanese Sushi Knife: Yanagi-ba, Deba&Usuba
You cannot use ordinary kitchen knives to cut the raw fish for sushi as the fish slices will fall apart and
you won’t be able to use them in your sushi.
Deba is famous for their strong long blades that are designed to cut the fish in the pull stroke. This is
different than the other knives used around the world as they cut using the push stroke. The pull stroke
gives a more clean and thin slicing abilities to a knife.
Moreover, these knives are ‘single bevel’ which means that the knife’s sharpened side ends only on one
side while the rest of the knives are sharpened from both sides. This ‘single bevel’ design is called kata-
ba in Japanese. It helps you to cut the fish into thin pieces from one side without breaking the slice
Three knives called the Yanagi-ba, Deba and Usuba are single beveled and can be used to cut the fish in
the thin slices but they also have their customized uses too. Usuba is used to cut and peel vegetables for
Sushi and Yanagi-ba is good for Sushi rolls.
Which one you should buy?
Initially, buying a Yanahi-ba sushi knife is enough but if you plan to make sushi more often then it is
better to buy all three of the above mentioned knives: Usuva, Deba and Yanagi-ba.
Buying Guide for the best Sushi Knife
It is significant to note that buying the best Sushi knife won’t be cheap. If you are looking for a top
quality Sushi knife then be prepared to spend more than $550 USD. Therefore you should be sure of
your intentions and whether you want a Sushi knife or not.
Following are the aspects you should keep in mind while buying a Sushi Knife.
Kata-ba: Single Bevel Design
Be sure to know the history and the innovative designs that are unique to different knives in the culinary
world. The single beveled design is sushi knives’ trademark which makes it a right hand tool. But there
are companies that have now started making Sushi knives’ for left-hand people too.
Choosing the right design according to your preferences is the first step towards purchasing the best
Handle & Blade’s Tail
Some Sushi knives have the blade’s tail running all the way at the end of their wooden handle. These
tails are known as ‘Tang’ and its length affects the performance of your knife. It adds weight to the knife
and allows it to be balanced in your hands during the process of cutting.
It is recommended that the tail of the blade in your Sushi knife ends halfway through the handle as the
long blade tail raises several hygiene concerns.
Most European companies use two handle halves that have the blade sandwiched between them but it
is important that you check that both pieces are glued together perfectly. If not, then the handle will
come apart sooner than you think.
Furthermore, it is essential that you check whether the blade of your knife is attached to the handle
properly or not. If it isn’t, then you’ll have problems using it in the future. It will loosen overtime and
eventually break off entirely from the handle.
Blade Material & Crafting Method
The blade of sushi knife has two different crafting methods that are Honyaki and Kasumi. Honyaki is
considered as a true metal forging method that uses a single high quality steel to fashion a traditional
Sushi knife whereas Kasumi uses two different types of high quality steel and has a hard center of iron
and carbon steel outside.
It is highly advised not to buy sushi knives’ that have blade made up of stainless steel. This is a modern
touch on the traditional sushi knife and it completely ruins its efficiency.
What kind of sushi knife is the best?
Honyaki sushi knives are the best quality sushi knives which use single high grade steel that has high
carbon content. Though high carbon content in steel means difficulty in shaping the steel into a blade
but the Honyaki is crafted in such a way that it easily shapes it without affecting its hardness.
Admittedly, Honyaki sushi knives are pricey and an original Honyaki isn’t easily available from local
retailers. It is important that you don’t buy any sushi knife for yourselves on a whim. It is better to do
some research and read reviews before deciding on anything.
Honyaki is expensive and anyone promising a price lower than $500 USD is a scammer so don’t get
fooled just to save some money. If you want a sushi knife, then save up and buy a branded and efficient
one that can actually help you in the kitchen.
Brands, Reviews & Pricing
It is necessary to research all known brands of the sushi knives and read their reviews and description to
better understand the product. The branded sushi knives will surely be expensive compared to the
ordinary ones, but they will perform much better than the ordinary ones and will well be worth your
After doing some research on sushi knives, we’ve compiled a list of recommendations for you that can
give you an idea about the best sushi knives in the market and their pricing.
If you are a professional then a good sushi knife can make and break your position as cutting the fish and
vegetables in a clean way is the key skill for any sushi chef.
But if you are still at the learning stage and want to hone your skills, then buying a professional sushi
knife is the first step that you need to take. This buying guide with its reviews can help you to do just this!
Last update on 2019-12-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API