Last Updated on
Best Beginner Ukulele 2020
- BEST VALUE & BEST CHOICE! Soprano (21 in) is suitable for adults with small hands & children age 8 & under. Concert (24 in) is MOST POPULAR & has wider spaced frets. Concert is recommended for most adults & children age 9 & up. Tenor (26 in) is recommended for adults with large hands.
- EXCLUSIVE ARCHED BACK Almost Professional Sounding Instrument, produces a Deeper, Louder, Longer Sustained & Fuller sound than a flat back or a cheap solid wood ukulele! BEAUTIFUL DESIGN Sapele Wood, Premium White Bindings all around ukalalee body & neck. Chrome shiny tuning gears, keeps in perfect tuning.
- BEST & MOST COMPLETE ACCESSORIES! Includes 2 strap buttons installed, tuner, padded case, picks, extra Super Aquila Nylgut strings. EXCLUSIVE Leather Pick & Uke hanger! All accessories easily $40-50 Value!
- BONUS FREE EXCLUSIVE Step by Step Video Lessons for Beginners at a perfect pace, not too fast. 15+ lessons. Digital Songbooks included. Learn through favorite ukele sing along songs & Hawaiian Songs. Not available to public. $30-40+ Value!
- BEST UNCONDITIONAL LIFETIME WARRANTY for Ukelele & All Accessories!! Complete Satisfaction Guaranteed or your money back. Most 5 Star Reviews & most total reviews for ukulele. Lohanu means ‘Love, Family & Unity’. BEST Customer Service from a CANADIAN Company!
Lohanu is one of the most renowned brands that make high-quality ukulele for beginners. If you have small hands or have a kid who is keen to learn a musical instrument, this model is ideal for you. Crafted with a combination of premium quality Sapele and mahogany with white highlighted borders all around the body gives it a classy finish.
The ukulele, designed with an arched back, produces more profound and richer sound & volume. Its aquila nyglut strings are high for producing consistent warm tones that feel like a sheer delight for the ears.
On top of that, this model is so well balanced and light in weight that you can practically carry it around or even practice on it for hours without tiring yourself. For comfort and ease, it has a short neck that allows the user to play the instrument without much stretching smoothly.
Along with the ukulele, the bundle kit includes one ukulele tuner, two ukulele straps, picks, padded case, few extra Aquila strings, wall hanger hook, and step-by-step ukulele lessons video for beginners.
It comes with pre-installed strap buttons.
The strings make no buzzing noise.
It is laminated to look like wood.
The gig bag is flimsy and thin.
- Kala Ukulele, known for high-quality instruments, is the most recognized and sought-after ukulele brand in the world. Kala ukuleles are the instrument of choice for schools - more people learn to play on a Kala than any other ukulele brand
- The kit includes a Kala logo tote bag, a 20-page Quick Start Guide with information about your new ukulele, and all the tips you need to get started! Learn to play songs in minutes with Kala’s FREE, easy to follow online lessons through the Kala Brand Music website.
- It includes a high-quality Mahogany Soprano Ukulele with traditional Polynesian Shark Teeth laser etched rosette, Aquila strings from Italy, quality open gear tuners, and GraphTech NuBone nut and saddle.
- What makes the ukulele a great instrument to begin on is that you don’t need a lot of accessories to be successful. We can help you get in tune and start playing songs today!
- Kala ukuleles are played by some of the most renowned players around the world including: twenty one pilots, Vance Joy, dodie, EatMyUke, The Ukulele Teacher, and Zac Brown.
Most of the low priced ukuleles lack playability until they are re-strung with better quality strings and tuned accordingly, but not this particular ukulele. Made with good quality Sapele and Mahogany giving it a high gloss finish that looks quite appealing to the eyes.
Its brass frets have an impeccable finish and are properly seated, which makes the ukulele consistent and seemingly perfect. This ukulele is not only an excellent choice for beginners but also semi-professional guitarists. It comes with Aquila strings that offer luxurious, full-bodied tones and are buttery smooth on tender fingers.
In addition to that, it also includes graph tech nubone nuts and saddles to provide defined, rich tones to the sound performance of the ukulele. The starter bundle kit consists of the Kala soprano ukulele, a tote bag, the brand’s tuning app, a beginner’s guide, and online lessons.
Great sound at an affordable price
The weight might be a little challenging for kids.
The sound quality can be better.
- Solid Mahogany: The best features of a solid material ukulele are its sounds well getting better and better with time aging, that means it will accompany you from beginner to a professional player, and you don't have to buy an advanced uke when your skills improved
- Stays in tune: Comes with the best-geared tuner machine and Aquila sting, makes the ukulele keep in tune when the string settled down, we pre-tuned every ukulele before shipping out to ensure the strings stretch out properly and stay in tune better upon arrival.
- Special Design: We round the edge of the ukulele so that you will feel comfortable with your arms. we put a rib into the neck, make it stronger to stay straight all the time, we shaped the heel of the neck into the dovetail, make it solid strong against any crash, we preset the action to a proper height, to easy your finger when you play this ukulele
- Free Tutorial: Check out the beginner ukulele tutorial on our website and our YouTube, Facebook. with the starter manual and full set of accessories, you will learn the basics to play the ukulele in 30 minutes.
- Warranty: We offer a free 60 days money back guarantee. Contact us if you have any problems with your ukulele and we will do our best to make things right.
If you have been looking for a solid wood ukulele, this might be the one for you. The solid Mahogany construction makes this ukulele much more durable than standard laminated ukuleles. For extra comfort protection of the player’s arm, designed with rounded edges. A copper gear installed for the stability of the ukulele. The Aquila string is also incorporated in this instrument, which ensures a beautiful sound tuning.
Along with the ukulele, you also get a gig bag, few picks, additional straps, and strips. A cleaning cloth and a user manual are also included. Beginners will find this manual very helpful as they can refer to the note learning and enhance their musical skills.
Amazing crafted product
Great sound quality
In some cases, annoying smell found.
Comparatively expensive than other models.
- Traditional soprano Ukulele with mahogany body and four advanced carbon nylon string
- Mahogany body and neck bring you richer and brighter sound; Rosewood fingerboard and bridge provides a comfortable playing feel
- Smooth and accurate, Donner patented chrome-plated guitar style tuners to keep your ukulele always in tune.
- 15 Brass Frets with Fret position Marks at 5th, 7th, 9th and 12th frets on neck and top of fingerboard.
- Comes with ukulele bag, ukulele strap, carbon nylon string and digital clip-on tuner as gifts.
The builders have constructed this instrument with the fine quality of mahogany. An advanced nylon string arranged in the body for excellent tuning. The perfect combination of accurate craftsmanship and precision that you can expect from it. The stability and the sound quality of this ukulele are fantastic.
The manufacturers have put extra effort into the composition of the strings so that grip quality remains beautiful. You can expose the ukulele in air or sunlight without any problem. As the material used in the built is superb.
The thick handle of this ukulele is apt for any beginner. You can use this for a long duration without feeling any pain in your hands or wrist. There is the right amount of distance, which is in between the fingerboard. The smooth fret allows you to glide the music tone easily. There is an extra storage bag included in the kit for a storage facility.
It produces evident sound quality
The polishes on the fretboard do not allow your fingers to pain.
Amazing durability is guaranteed
Value for money item
An ideal instrument for beginners.
Ripping off the fret is one of the issues noticed by few consumers
An annoying buzzing from the G-string is observed in some cases
- Soprano ukulele in bright, fun rainbow colors for everyone to enjoy!
- Quick to learn with easy to play 3 chord chart
- Strong maple body and neck in addition to a clear, high gloss finish make for long-lasting durability
- Equipped with geared guitar style tuners to ensure your uke stays in tune
- Includes color matching gigbag for easy storage and transport
The exquisite quality of maple wood used for the construction of this ukulele. You may get a variety of colors if you go with this brand. A beautiful instrument you can gift your children. The long-lasting effect is ensured due to the gloss texture on this instrument.
There is a string attached in this ukulele, which is similar to the guitar. The tuning through this musical instrument is fine and soothing. You will also receive a gig bag as an additional item for storage. As this product is light in weight, so you can travel with this easily anywhere.
Excellent Tuner is present in this for a magnificent sound effect.
Suitable for beginners and children who are learning music
The built of this ukulele is secure and is durable for a long time
A soft pad is present in the handle that helps you to hold it and move comfortably.
In a few cases, mute issues and dead sounding were experienced.
The dead frets were also one of the issues in this instrument
It is a bit expensive as compared to other similar ukuleles
Factors To Consider Best Ukulele for Beginners
There are several key points, which a user should think about before spending on the ukulele. We have channelized some of the essential factors here that will guide you to choose the best ukulele specifications.
Variation of Ukulele
There are four main kinds of ukulele that you will get. Based on the tone and music production these classifications are done;
Soprano- These are the fundamental and small ukuleles. For a beginner, this is the best item to go for. A specific twangy sound is generated with this. They are portable in nature and consist of 12-15 frets.
Concert- If you are searching for a traditional ukulele, this is the one for you. It is around 2-4 inches bigger than an essential ukulele. You can use it for any concert as it portable too. A more extensive range of tone selection is possible with the help of this type of ukulele.
Tenor- For a more intense tone and better sound quality, it is the option. Commonly, this is 2 inches larger than the sized concert ukulele. It has beautiful fret arrangements. Only if you have a previous guitar experience, then you can buy this ukulele. It is not ideal for beginners.
Baritone- This is the largest of all the four ukuleles. The tone variation is richer in this type. There are four strings attached in this baritone ukulele, similar to a guitar. Often people find it confusing to use this type of ukulele. You need to use fingerpicking more if you invest in this one. This is again not suitable for the beginners.
Nothing is sadder if you spend on the ukulele, and that does not work. Hence, do not go for cheap items due to which you may face more issues.
The starter ukulele pack price ranges from 50-60 dollars. Even you can also go for a higher range until 100 dollars. Again, do not compromise on your budget without comparing the cost on different sites. You will surely get many options if you research thoroughly.
Size to go for
For beginners, you can choose the soprano ukulele. These have a better cord system, and the fret size is smaller as compared to others, which causes no stretching issues. Some users play guitar and have recently developed an interest in the ukulele. For them, the tenor ukulele is the best solution. This is for your information, a baritone ukulele looks similar to a guitar, but sound generation is not at all favorable.
Types Of Tunnings
If you are a beginner, then you may get confused seeing the different whistle and bell arrangement on a ukulele. There are precisely a few types of tones, which are produced. A beginner should check before they begin with their music;
From the headstock, there are many tuning strings, which are attached. We do not suggest the newbie go for high-end friction tunings of the instruments. Again, if you choose the cheap built of the friction tune, then it will not sound soothing. It will better if you invest in the ukes, which have well-geared tuners. These tuners generally located at the exterior part of the ukulele.
These tuners are not much good for sound production. They are cheap and look impressive, but for a beginner, it should not be a choice.
Six-Eight String System
To get a beautiful sound effect, often, the manufacturers have induced extra strings to the ukulele. Do not invest in these six to eight extra string featured ukulele if you are already not a pro. You may find these strings challenging to arrange and play. You should be extra careful while playing with these added strings as it causes tension in a few parts of the instrument too.
For making a Ukulele, either pure wood or fancy laminated wood is used. If your budget is on the higher side, then go for the more top quality wood ukulele. The sound system is better, and the entire instrument is durable. However, the thin coating of wood on the metal used while building a ukulele. These are inexpensive, and the sound system is moderate. Koa, Mahogany, Cedar, Rosewood, etc. are few quality kinds of wood used in the construction of the solid ukulele.
While spending on a ukulele, check for the quick add on which you will receive. Kindly check these before buying;
The electric tuner used for getting the sweet tune and music from the instrument.
A gig bag or kit is always favorable. So, this allows the musician to carry their instrument wherever they want.
Few people, while playing the ukulele, use a felt pick or a regular guitar pick. These protect your fingers while you are playing the instrument.
Strings play a vital role when it comes to playing the guitar or a ukulele. Nylon, titanium, or aluminum uses to construct the strings. Therefore, a user can check according to their preference and buy the strings. Even many brands give extra strings with the ukulele kit.
Research on the ukulele if you are a beginner. Generally, this does not mean that you will only focus on the learning part. A user should check the specification and the features of the ukulele before buying online. There are huge offers and discounts which you may get. Even testimonials portrayed by other musicians can help your concept well.
Some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What size of Ukulele is best for a beginner?
The normal or soprano is the best ukulele you can think to start with. It produces both soft and classic tones. The average size of this instrument ranges from 54cm in length. Users find it comfortable to hold it for a long time.
Is guitar learning better than ukulele for a new musician?
Learning the notes on the ukulele is more comfortable and faster as compared to the guitar. You can even start playing your music if the practice is regular. The string arrangement of the ukulele is on the lower base, and it helps the beginners to manage the instrument while playing.
How long will you take to learn the ukulele?
Mostly learners can pick up the notes within 10-15 minutes on a ukulele. For playing songs, you may take 6-7 months of regular learning