Last Updated on
Best Keyboard for Programming 2020
- Key switch/Number of keys : Cherry MX Brown Switch (tactile feel)/87 keys , US ASCII key arrangement
- Key pitch/Key stroke : 19mm/4 0.5mm , Cable length : 1.5m
- Dimensions/Weight : W356xD135xH33mm(44mm raised up by stand)/980g
- Interface : PS/2,USB (PS/2 interface is available with PS/2 Conversion Adapter)
- Accessories : Windows key (Printing on front face type), FILCO Key Puller
Filco Ninja Majestouch 2 is underrated in how good a programming keyboard it is. This programming keyboard is absolutely minimal and to the point. It doesn’t care much about being trendy or stylish. It is all about giving you the best programming keyboard experience possible. All of the keycaps are minimal and have the characters painted on the side. This makes the keys feel; very smooth. Only three keys are backlit. TheFilco Ninja Majestouch 2 has options for Cherry MX Brown and Cherry Mx Blue keys.
The programming keyboard comes in both full size or ten keyless (TKL) sizes. The cable is very long at 1.5 meters. The build quality of this programming keyboard is simply amazing. It feels sturdy and solid. The feedback on key presses is absolutely stunning. This mechanical programming keyboard also has N key Roll Over (NKRO) on all key presses. There is no question that Filco Ninja Majestouch 2 is one of the best programming keyboards in 2020.
Filco Ninja Majestouch is a mechanical keyboard that comes with front printing keycaps. The front printing labels are an excellent solution to the problem of fading labels. The build quality of this keyboard is remarkable.The sleek keycaps, along with the sturdy surface, add to its durability. Only 3 keys are backlit, the caps lock, scroll down, and the Num lock. The keyboard is customizable. You can get a full-size keyboard or tenkeyless. Moreover, you can choose between brown and blue switches. It is a wired keyboard and the cable is almost 1.5 meters long. It doesn’t weigh a lot as well.
Features and Specs
Key pitch: 19mm
Interface : PS/2,USB
Number of Keys: 87 keys
High build quality
Front printing labels
- Anti-ghosting 81 keys, N-key rollover. Allowing multi-keys to work simultaneously with high speed
- DIY blue switches, Custom mechanical switches designed for longevity, responsiveness and durability
- 10-Mode rgb backlighting and color-flashing speed, Double-shot injection molded keycaps for crystal clear backlighting
- Durability and wide compatibility, Laser carving character key for long time use
- Convenient multi-media keys fn+f1~f12 provides windows key lock for gaming, multimedia controls for entertainment, email and calculator
Huo Ji mechanical keyboard is a compact, white, durable keyboard that has 81 anti-ghosting keys. This ensures that you can type without any interruption for hours. The blue switches in this keyboard are highly responsive and durable as well. Moreover, this keyboard is water-resistant.
Furthermore, there are 10 options for choosing the backlighting in different RGB colors on the keyboard. The tactile feedback of the keyboard is also good. The keyboard allows multiple keys to work simultaneously at high speed. There is no separate Numpad on the Huo Ji mechanical keyboard.
Features and Specs
Number of Keys: 81 keys
Switch Type: Blue Switch
Cannot display a solid color
- [Mechanical Blue Switch] ETROBER RGB mechanical gaming keyboard uses blue switches, which offers a clicky switch and tactile bump typing experience with great sense of rhythm but without loud click and any delay, suitable for both hardcore gamer and office worker.
- [18 Backlit Modes + 13 Side-lit Led Modes] This wired RGB mechanical gaming keyboard can customize multiple color via “FN+~” button without CD and software. You can press “FN+INS--PD” to adjust the 18 back light modes, press “FN+PS” to switch between 13 side-lit backlight modes, press “FN+ ” to adjust the color and “FN+” to adjust light brightness. And you can also download the programme software from our website.
- [Full Metal Case & Double Injection Key Cap] The mechanical keyboard is equipped with all-metal housing and gold Plated USB connector, spill-resistant design and double injection key cap, it is rated at 50 million presses before failure which means this keyboard has long life performance and will never fade.
- [100% Anti-ghosting 104 Keys & Multimedia Shortcuts] 104 fully anti-ghosting keys deliver reliably accurate performance to players without any program error, 12 multimedia hotkeys from “FN+F1--F12” can be triggered by combining keys allow you to game or work simultaneously with high speed
- [Worry-free & Wide Compatibility] ETROBOT RGB mechanical gaming keyboard supports computer system including Windows XP/ WindowsVISTA/ Windows7/ Windows8/ Windows8.1/ Windows10/ Server, Mac OS/OSX, Linux, Etc
ETROBOT mechanical keyboards give the option of choosing three different colors. The keyboard is very responsive and is quite durable. Moreover, the combination of the classic look with the high-quality sleek look of the LED lights makes the keyboard stand out.
There are various keyboard shortcuts on this compact mechanical keyboard. The keyboard works with both Windows and Mac. With the blue witches present in the keyboard, you get a great typing experience. There are 18 backlit modes and 13 side-lit modes. It is a wired keyboard. Moreover, there are 104 keys on the ETROBOT keyboard.
Features and Specs
Number of Keys: 104 keys
12 multimedia shortcuts
The instructions manual is hard to read
- MECHANICAL BROWN SWITCHES: Offering the best tactile typing experience, also being ever so slightly quieter, fitting for office or gaming use. And you will get 8 spared switches as a gift.
- 18 BACKLIT MODES: Press FN+INS-PgDn to enter Pro-gamer mode. RGB LED adjustable lighting with 6-themed backlights -18 lighting models. You can also adjust their brightness with FN+“”and“” Besides, there is a 9-color single backlit mode for this keyboard.
- N-KEY ROLLOVER. ERGONOMIC AND DURABLE DESIGN: This keyboard is made of full metal material, with matte-finish texture, solid enough to protect it from scratch. It allows multi-keys to work simultaneously with high speed.
- KEYCAPS DESIGN: The Redragon K556 features a custom designed keycap that has been made shorter to reduce the time it takes for your actions to register.
- FLEXIBLE REMOVABLE KEYCAPS AND WIDE COMPATIBILITY: With Key Cap Puller. Support computer system including Windows10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Mac OS X, Windows XP, Windows VISTA, etc.
If you are looking for a modern and high-performing keyboard, then you should give the Redragon mechanical keyboard a look. The keyboard has 104 buttons. Moreover, it combines various keys to provide you with multiple functionalities. It has brown switches, which offers a great tactile typing experience while being quiet at the same time. It has a durable and ergonomic design. The keycaps are removable and the keyboard is compatible with both Windows and Mac.
Features and Specs
Number of keys: 104 keys
8 extra switches
No tenkeyless version
- PUT YOURSELF IN CONTROL: Our flagship, the CTRL combines quality construction with feature-loaded functionality. A versatile tenkeyless (TKL) keyboard designed with input from the Drop community, it raises the bar for mechanical keyboards.
- Premium engineering: constructed with a solid aluminum frame with a Built-in switch plate and Magnetic legs, The ctrl is rock-solid and ready for any setup.
- Kaihua speed silver switches: utilizing the popular Cherry MX form, these speedy linear switches are made with 3. 5 millimeters of total travel with 1. 1–1. 4 millimeters of pre-travel. They're easy to press and boast a 70-million lifetime click rating.
- Hot-swappable switch functionality. Want to switch your switches? Customize the ctrl with ease thanks to hot-swappable switch sockets, which allow you to swap switches in seconds—no soldering required.
- Optimized per-key lighting with millions of colors: the ctrl is illuminated with fully customizable RGB Backlighting and under-lighting. Set your millions of LEDs to a single color or light them up with custom rainbow wave patterns.
Massdrop CTRL Mechanical Keyboard has plenty of features and that too at an affordable price. It is a versatile, tenkeyless mechanical keyboard that has a solid and durable aluminum frame. The Cherry MX Brown switches have a tactile bump silent travel and medium actuation force. This is great for both typing and gaming Moreover, if you want to swap the switches, you can do that as well within seconds without the need for soldering. You get customizable RGB backlighting. You can program the keys with the latest QMK firmware.
Features and Specs
Number of keys: 87 keys
Connectivity: USB type C
Switches: Cherry MX Brown
- Competition-grade mechanical QS1 Switch has a 60 million click lifetime, linear design and smooth feel
- Fastest mechanical keyboard on the market, presses register 25% faster than a traditional mechanical switch
- Low-profile design, quicker key presses, and densely packed keycaps deliver optimal gaming ergonomics with less finger fatigue
- Supports the simultaneous pressing of all keys in game mode in addition to zero ghosting
- 6 Dedicated quick-access macro keys, strategically placed for easy access. One-touch control over media, volume and brightness with F keys. Tactile bumps on the W-key help provide a fast return to WASD
SteelSeries Apex M800 is the flagship mechanical programming keyboard made by SteelSeries. This amazing keyboard is made with pro-grade materials to give you the best performance possible and is used by many professional gamers worldwide. Using SteelSeries’ propriety QS1 key-switches, the QS1 switches were built for speed and have 25% faster actuation compared to traditional mechanical switches. Nicely lit with RGB Leds that have 16.8 million colors and multiple levels of brightness. SteelSeries Apex M800 supports detailed customization and features 6 dedicated quick-access macro keys. SteelSeries Apex M800 was made to be the fastest gaming keyboard ever built and it certainly does feel that way. This is quite simply one of the most well-built programming keyboards ever.
- Aircraft grade anodized brushed aluminum frame: Built to withstand a lifetime of gaming. Lightweight and rugged durability, necessary for a keyboard that's going to see a lot of action
- 8MB profile storage with hardware macro and lighting playback: Allow access up to three stored profiles on the go, independent of external software. Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista
- Dynamic multicolor per key backlighting with Light Edge: Adjust each key's color and illumination level in addition to 19 zones on the top edge light bar for sophisticated and dramatic animations
- 100 percentage CHERRY MX Speed RGB mechanical key switches: Unleash blistering speed with the 1.2 millimeter actuation and durability of gold contact CHERRY MX mechanical key switches
- 6 programmable G keys keys for in game macros: Assign single keystrokes or complex multi key combos to any of the 6 dedicated macro keys. Full Key (NKRO) with 100percentage Anti Ghosting.HID Keyboard Report Rate:1000Hz
Corsair K95 RGB Platinum is considered by many as one of the best programming keyboards available. Building on the Corsair K70 Rapidfire, the Corsair K95 RGB Platinum is an improvement in nearly every way and is the ultimate gaming keyboard. Using professional gamer favored Cherry MX Reds, this keyboard feels amazing to game on and also has 6 programmable keys. This mechanical keyboard comes with an aluminum frame that is solid, RGB backlighting that has 16.8 million colors and even has a rubber palm rest for comfort. There is absolutely nothing about the Corsair K95 RGB Platinum that does not feel awesome.
- MULTI-AWARD WINNING RAZER MECHANICAL SWITCHES: Designed specifically for gaming. Durable up to 80 million keystrokes
- INDIVIDUALLY BACKLIT KEYS: Powered by Razer Chroma with 16.8 million customizable color options
- ERGONOMIC WRIST REST: Ensure long hours of comfortable gaming
- 10 KEY ANTI-GHOSTING: Execute up to ten commands at the same time
- 5 DEDICATED MACRO KEYS: With Audio and USB pass-through
Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2 is the upgrade of one of the most popular gaming keyboards, and make a great keyboard even better. Coming with out of this world RGB that has more than 16.8 million colors to choose from, you can color your backlighting in multiple ways. This keyboard uses Razer’s proprietary Razer Mechanical Switches which has three options (Green, Orange and Yellow). The mechanical keys are actually pretty good and feel good to type on. There are 5 programmable keys on Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2. A very comfortable detachable wrist rest is provided with this mechanical gaming keyboard as well. The keyboard feels, and looks very premium. You can sync all your other Razer Chroma peripherals with the BlackWidow Chroma, allowing you to create spectacular lighting effects.
- World's fastest RGB mechanical gaming keyboard: Exclusive Romer-G Mechanical Switches with up to 25 percent faster actuation
- Customizable RGB illumination: Personalize individual key lighting from a palette of 16 million colors ; Cable Length (Power/Charging): 6 ft (1.8 m)
- Arx Control App and smartphone dock: Instantly access in-game data on your smartphone or tablet without interrupting the game
- 9 programmable G-keys: Create custom game macros to execute complex commands with lightning speed and accuracy
- Dedicated media controls: One-touch control panel for quick access to play, pause, mute, volume and skip.Android 3.2 or later
Logitech has been making great gaming and programming products for an eternity and for good reason. They make great products. Logitech G910 Orion Spark is the premium flagship offering from Logitech in mechanical gaming keyboards. Built using their propriety Romer-G switches (up to 25% faster actuation) with 9 programmable keys and RGB backlighting. This keyboard also comes with dedicated media controls, a palm rest and also works with Mac OS X. The Arx Control App and smartphone dock is a very cool technology from Logitech. It allows you to access your mobile devices without leaving the confines of your game. All in all, Logitech G910 Orion Spark is a pretty cool piece of technology. It also happens to be a one of the top mechanical programming keyboards around.
- Cherry MX Red Mechanical Keyswitches - The industry standard for a reason. Superior precision, and lightning fast input
- 104 keys, quality assured for 50 million key presses
- Durable aluminum top housing with sanded finish and grease resistant coating. Say goodbye to flimsy plastic keyboards
- 100% Anti-Ghosting with N-Key rollover - no single or multi-input errors
- USB Plug and Play Compatibility - Win 10/Win 8/Win 7/Linux/Vista/Windows Vista, can be used for Mac, Laptop, Notebook, PC
Cherry MX, the makers of only the finest switches also make their own keyboards. The Cherry MX 6.0 is their flagship model. It is built on a beautiful aluminum chassis. This is a wired keyboard that uses Cherry MX Red switches, which is no surprise as that is the switch made for professional gaming. Very little needs to be said about the Cherry MX Red switches as they are of premium quality. This is a very comfortable keyboard to use due to its lower profile and comes with a lovely palm rest. It comes with two color backlight (red and blue) and programmable keys. This is a mechanical keyboard that can be used for gaming and at the office.
- 87-Key US ANSI English Layout
- All 55 gram weighted, 4mm travel Topre Electrostatic Capacitive Key Switches
- Integrated Ten-key Numberpad (outputs true 'Num' keycodes)
- High durability PBT (polybutylene terephthalate) keycaps
- Dimensions: 366 × 169 × 38 mm (14.4 x 6.6 x 1.5in)
Made In Japan by Japanese company Topre, Realforce RGB is a strikingly breathing taking mechanical programming keyboard. Using Topre’s propriety Topre capacitive key switches, this keyboard is a joy to type on and feels like Cherry MX Whites but with a superior tactile feedback. You will barely feel a strain typing on Topre Realforce RGB mechanical keyboard because of how amazingly well it is built. Seriously, typing, gaming, and coding on this give a feeling like no other. The 16.8 million color RGB backlighting makes this keyboard look grandiose. This keyboard is well built and feels very solid. The cable management is lovely and makes sure your wire doesn’t get tangled. This keyboard is simply a work of art. Topre Realforce RGB is probably the most solid feeling programming keyboard in 2020.
- Cherry MX Red Mechanical Gaming Switches
- Reinforced steel back plate construction
- 100% Programmable with SteelSeries Engine
- Fully-programmable keys and macros.Throw Depth:4 mm
- 100% anti-ghosting and 104-key rollover
The SteelSeries Apex M500 is a no-nonsense mechanical gaming keyboard that is also a very affordable option. Made by industry giants in professional gaming products, this keyboard uses Cherry MX Reds. It has programmable keys and has a one color blue LEDs for backlighting. Coming with a minimal design which is very compact, SteelSeries Apex M500 comes with a standard layout that wastes absolutely no space. It goes without saying that this a very well made mechanical gaming keyboard that can also be used at work.
- Corsair’s fastest mechanical keyboard, ever. Keyboard Cable Type: Braided
- 100% anti-ghosting and full key rollover on USB / 100% Cherry MX Speed gaming key switches with ultra-fast 1.2mm actuation and light 45g force
- Aircraft-grade anodized brushed aluminum frame for superior durability / Advanced lighting control and large font keycaps deliver dynamic, vibrant backlighting
- CUE support enables advanced macro and lighting programming for virtually unlimited game customization. Compatibility and System Requirements - PC with 2 USB 2.0 ports Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista
- Detachable soft-touch wrist rest and dedicated multimedia controls / USB pass-through port for easy connections / Textured and contoured FPS/MOBA keycap sets
The Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire is an epic gaming keyboard made to out of the most premium of materials. Featuring Cherry MX Speed gaming key switches for ultra-fast actuation, this keyboard is a badass gaming keyboard. Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire is built on a beautiful aluminum chassis that is very solid and sturdy. The RGB backlighting offers 16.8 million color possibilities and looks absolutely gorgeous. This mechanical gaming keyboard has dedicated multimedia controls which makes changing tracks and volume very easy. The soft wrist rest at the bottom makes gaming very comfortable. This is a keyboard the gamers love and for good reason. The same reasoning is why it is very popular with programmers.
- Cherry MX Brown "tactile bump" Mechanical switches. Gold plated contacts rated at 50 million cycles.
- Full White LED backlighting with 7 levels of brightness adjustment. Onboard memory saves your last lighting preference.
- Nkro/6KRO technology allows any number of keys to be pressed simultaneously over PS/2. 6 keys + modifiers available over USB.
- Hardware-level configurable output modes with built in dip switch.
- Slim case design with multi-channel Cable routing system and detachable Micro USB cable.
WASD Keyboards CODE is an excellent no-nonsense programming keyboard for both PC & Mac. Coming in an all black design, this programming keyboard is very sturdy. The design of this mechanical programming keyboard is very minimal. This actual makes it stand out an looks cool. The keycaps come with a high-quality sharp label on them. They feel very smooth to type on. WASD Keyboards CODE comes with Cherry MX Brown and Cherry MX Blue Key switches. which one you choose is a matter of preference. You cant go wrong with either of them. This programming keyboard comes in full sized and ten key less (TKL) options. There are 7 level of backlighting on this. The cable routing on this programming keyboard is excellent. Though keep in mind that the cable is not braided. WASD Keyboards CODE programming keyboard is compatible with Mac. WASD Keyboards CODE is one of the best programming keyboards for Mac & PC that you can buy in 2018
Why do you need a programming keyboard in 2020?
To do the best work, you need the best tools and equipment. A great mechanical programming keyboard can enhance the performance of a programmer. Having a high-quality keyboard provides a great programming experience. Most developers and programmers spend multiple hours daily writing code. This means a lot of keystrokes throughout the day. If you are using a bad keyboard, this can cause you great amounts of stress on your fingers throughout the day. using a great mechanical programming keyboard helps keep your fingers pain free.
The right mechanical programming keyboard can be the difference between you being able to code for hours every day and you get tired of coding in a few minutes. A great mechanical programming keyboard will help the proper use of your great coding skills. There are many great programming keyboards of different styles, builds and types. Some of these keyboards can also be programmed by manufacturer and 3rd party software to perform custom functions. There are so many different kinds of keyboards. Finding the one that works best for you can be a challenge. We’ve created a guide that will help you find the best programming keyboard for you in 2020.
Programmers have to type a lot. It makes a lot of sense to buy the best keyboard for programming that has excellent speed and is suitable for your fingers and productivity. If you are looking to buy a new programming keyboard, you should know what features make keyboards better. Let’s take a look at a few of the factors that determine the quality of a keyboard and the things you need to consider before buying the best keyboard for programming.
Programming keyboards are of two types.
Both mechanical and membrane type keyboards have their advantages.
Mechanical keyboards are analog. They are similar to typewriters. Every key on the keyboard is sitting atop a switch. When the key is pressed, the switch transmits a physical signal. When you are working with a mechanical keyboard, you will have a greater sense of tactile response. If you are a fast typist, you will like the switch-based design.
You don’t have to press the key down forcefully until it is all the way down. Moreover, you don’t have to worry that a press will go unregistered. This is very important since a single mistake is tough to identify when you are coding. Mechanical programming keyboards are sturdy and durable.
A membrane keyboard is made of a conductive layer and a rubber layer. The characters are printed on the conductive layer, and as you press it, the pressure will be detected and the key will be registered. The keys require minimal effort to be pressed. However, there is no tactile feedback.
Many people are going to find membrane keyboards fascinating because they are lightweight. Furthermore, they can be easily carried anywhere you want to work as they are incredibly portable. They are quieter than mechanical keyboards and come at an affordable cost. However, these keyboards have a short lifespan. Moreover, they have a poor key rollover. This means that at times, a keypress will not be registered. Thus, the chances of making a mistake are higher with Membrane keyboards.
Cherry MX Switches
When it comes to mechanical keyboards, there are various keyboards to choose from. Some keyboards allow you to choose the switches that you want on your keyboard. There are 3 major types of switches, distinguished from each other by different color codes. They are blue, brown, and red. You will also find green and clear switches.
Some of the switches are loud and use a lot of force to register. These switches give the user a great tactile typing experience, nevertheless. A few switches have a great response, as well as the advantages of accuracy. Some other switches have a light touch and are not very noisy. Look for the switches that you think will work the best for you.
One of the leading brands in key switch technology is Cherry MX switches. The give high levels of durability, comfort, and performance, providing you with ultimate programming experience.
The types of switches available from Cherry MX are:
Cherry MX Red
With its smooth operation and fast response, it is perfect for those programmers who like to type fast.
Cherry MX Black
The MX black requires a slighter higher force but doesn’t make any noise while you are typing.
Cherry MX Brown
This key switch has a quiet operation and has tactile feedback. If you are looking for a switch that will help you typing accurately, this is the one.
Cherry MX Blue
This switch is perfect for those people who like to feel and hear a click when they type. Moreover, it helps with accuracy.
Cherry MX Silent Red
With noise reduction technology, you don’t hear any sound while typing if your keyboard has these switches.
Cherry MX Silent Black
It is another switch which minimizes the sound produced when you are typing. It is perfect for use in office environments.
Cherry MX Speed Silver
This switch gives you the highest levels of precision and very short reaction time. The switching frequencies are also of high value.
Wired or Wireless
Both wired keyboards and wireless keyboards have their own advantages and disadvantages.
Wireless keyboards minimize the clutter and mess on your desk since there is no cord to interfere with other things. However, wireless keyboards are battery-powered, and they lag sometimes. Moreover, they are costly as well.
Wired keyboards are durable, and they don’t rely on a battery power source. However, they have a cord that restricts their movement and also adds to the clutter.
Some keyboards have both wireless and wired option configurations.
The layout of a keyboard is pretty essential. If there are no cramped keys, you will be able to type efficiently. Most of the keyboards for programming tend to have a full number pad, and they have fewer additional function keys such as those for launching apps or controlling the music player, etc.
The form factor tells you the size of a keyboard. There are three sizes in the market.
These are the most common types of keyboards. However, there are some other keyboards such as the 65% keyboard and the 40% keyboard available in the market. Take a look at all the keyboards and then buy the one you think will be perfect for you.
A full-size keyboard comes with 104 buttons along with a complete number pad. All the keys that you require, including the function keys, are present on this keyboard. However, this means that the keyboard will be of a large size.
This keyboard doesn’t have a separate number pad. The number keys are overlayed with the other character keys. This reduces the size of the keyboard.
It is a relatively new type of keyboard. Not only does it cut down the number pad, but you also don’t see any arrow keys or the function row. However, you can still access these features by using a combination of keys with the function key.
Programmers are going to spend a lot of type on their keyboards; thus, they must be comfortable enough to be used for several hours at a time. The keyboards which have an innovative design and excellent ergonomics make it easy for you use them for hours.
Moreover, some keyboards come with features such as wrist rest that take the pressure off of your hands and wrists. Since you are going type a lot, you can end up hurting your wrists and hands. Keyboards that have adjustable tilt and height are perfect since they give you the ability to align your wrists at a level you are comfortable typing at.
There are various types of Ergonomic keyboards. Let’s take a brief look at them.
Most people are familiar with this design. It became popular after Microsoft Natural was released. When you are using a standard keyboard, you tend to extend your arms from your shoulders in a V-position. This causes pressure to be exerted on the joints. With the split keyboard, you can separate the keyboard entirely or partially. This places the hands in a better and relaxed position.
When the keyboard’s middle section is raised, we say the keyboard is tented. This helps the forearm muscles to relax, and it also stimulates the blood flow. The higher the tent is, the more comfortable the typing will be. However, the increase in height will make typing uncomfortable. Look for keyboards that have adjustable tenting so that you can choose the position you are most comfortable with.
Some keyboards have an extended surface on which you can place your palms as you type. If you elevate your wrists at the same angle as that of the keyboard, the strain in the wrist will be reduced, and if there is any pain, it will be alleviated. You can buy separate wrist rests as well.
In these keyboards, the keys are placed in a concave position that increases their accessibility and allows the arms to relax while you type. You can combine a contoured keyboard with a wrist rest to get the best results.
How to choose the best programming keyboard in 2020?
What are the best switches for a programming keyboard in 2020?
One of the biggest difference in programming keyboards is the quality of switches (the keys that you press). Switches are the most important thing about a keyboard. They are the difference between premium and cheap keyboards. Some of them are mechanical (which is the highest quality), while of them are membrane (which is great for the budget). Many companies use their own property brand of keys which are great as well. Cherry MX is by and far the best and most popular premium keyboard switches available. Made in Japan, Topre is another great switch. Topre is not as popular as Cherry MX, but are slowly gaining momentum.
What is the best size for a programming keyboard in 2020?
Programming keyboards come in a few different sizes. The standard layout with all keys is known as full size. Tenkey-less (or TKL) comes with no number keys on the right side. TKL is quickly becoming very popular among programmers. There are also other smaller keyboard sizes, which are categorized as compact. The best size for a programming keyboard depends on you. Personally, the standard layout is how you should go but TKL also works. It really is all a matter of preference.
Do you need Key rollover(KRO) & N-key rollover (NKRO) in a programming keyboard?
Key rollover (KRO) is the ability of a keyboard to register multiple key presses at the same time. N-key rollover (NKRO) keyboards do not have any limitation on how many key presses can be registered at once by the keyboard.This feature is more useful for gamers than programmers. This is a feature all great programming keyboards come with and can be useful from time to time. However, it is not a make or break feature for programming keyboards.
What additional features can you get in a programming keyboard?
The premium programming keyboards generally also come with some style of lighting, RGB for the top tiers to single color backlights for the other tiers. And even though keyboard lighting will not help you get better performance, it does look cool and you can customize it to show you information related to the program you are running. Crazier still, most of these programming keyboards come with processors and memory inside so you can save your profiles and settings on them.
What are the best mechanical programming keyboards in 2020?
We’ve compiled a short list (in no particular order) of the best keyboards for programmers and developers to help you decide. All these programming keyboards are among the best mechanical keyboards available right now. Do keep in mind some of them may not be mechanical but of a comparable quality(as some manufacturers have propriety technology). There are also cheap mechanical keyboards for every kind of budget(under $100). Also be sure to check whether or not these mechanical programming keyboards work on Mac.This list will be updated with the latest and greatest programming keyboards, so remember to bookmark and check back!
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do programmers need a specific programming keyboard?
Keyboards are essential tools for a programmer. Programmers keep their eyes focused on the screen as their fingers move on the keyboard. The keyboards specific for programming make it easier for the programmers to type at high speed without causing and wrist injuries or strains. A good keyboard increases the performance of the programmer as well.
Can gaming keyboards be used for programming?
Yes, gaming keyboards can be used for programming, but you should check their specs before you make a decision. The keys on a gaming keyboard are highly accurate, which is a plus for programmers.
Is a numerical pad required for programming?
Numpad is not necessary for programming. Programmers do need to access and use numbers, but a dedicated Numpad is not necessary. However, your needs and requirements may vary. So before anything else, determine whether you need a Numpad or not.