Last Updated on
Best Keyboard for Programming 2020
- Competition-grade mechanical QS1 Switch has a 60 million click lifetime, linear design and smooth feel
- Fastest mechanical keyboard on the market, presses register 25% faster than a traditional mechanical switch
- Low-profile design, quicker key presses, and densely packed keycaps deliver optimal gaming ergonomics with less finger fatigue
- Supports the simultaneous pressing of all keys in game mode in addition to zero ghosting
- 6 Dedicated quick-access macro keys, strategically placed for easy access. One-touch control over media, volume and brightness with F keys. Tactile bumps on the W-key help provide a fast return to WASD
SteelSeries Apex M800 is the flagship mechanical programming keyboard made by SteelSeries. This amazing keyboard is made with pro-grade materials to give you the best performance possible and is used by many professional gamers worldwide. Using SteelSeries’ propriety QS1 key-switches, the QS1 switches were built for speed and have 25% faster actuation compared to traditional mechanical switches. Nicely lit with RGB Leds that have 16.8 million colors and multiple levels of brightness. SteelSeries Apex M800 supports detailed customization and features 6 dedicated quick-access macro keys. SteelSeries Apex M800 was made to be the fastest gaming keyboard ever built and it certainly does feel that way. This is quite simply one of the most well-built programming keyboards ever.
- Aircraft grade anodized brushed aluminum frame: Built to withstand a lifetime of gaming. Lightweight and rugged durability, necessary for a keyboard that's going to see a lot of action
- 8MB profile storage with hardware macro and lighting playback: Allow access up to three stored profiles on the go, independent of external software. Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista
- Dynamic multicolor per key backlighting with Light Edge: Adjust each key's color and illumination level in addition to 19 zones on the top edge light bar for sophisticated and dramatic animations
- 100 percentage CHERRY MX Speed RGB mechanical key switches: Unleash blistering speed with the 1.2 millimeter actuation and durability of gold contact CHERRY MX mechanical key switches
- 6 programmable G keys keys for in game macros: Assign single keystrokes or complex multi key combos to any of the 6 dedicated macro keys. Full Key (NKRO) with 100percentage Anti Ghosting.HID Keyboard Report Rate:1000Hz
Corsair K95 RGB Platinum is considered by many as one of the best programming keyboards available. Building on the Corsair K70 Rapidfire, the Corsair K95 RGB Platinum is an improvement in nearly every way and is the ultimate gaming keyboard. Using professional gamer favored Cherry MX Reds, this keyboard feels amazing to game on and also has 6 programmable keys. This mechanical keyboard comes with an aluminum frame that is solid, RGB backlighting that has 16.8 million colors and even has a rubber palm rest for comfort. There is absolutely nothing about the Corsair K95 RGB Platinum that does not feel awesome.
- MULTI-AWARD WINNING RAZER MECHANICAL SWITCHES: Designed specifically for gaming. Durable up to 80 million keystrokes
- INDIVIDUALLY BACKLIT KEYS: Powered by Razer Chroma with 16.8 million customizable color options
- ERGONOMIC WRIST REST: Ensure long hours of comfortable gaming
- 10 KEY ANTI-GHOSTING: Execute up to ten commands at the same time
- 5 DEDICATED MACRO KEYS: With Audio and USB pass-through
Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2 is the upgrade of one of the most popular gaming keyboards, and make a great keyboard even better. Coming with out of this world RGB that has more than 16.8 million colors to choose from, you can color your backlighting in multiple ways. This keyboard uses Razer’s proprietary Razer Mechanical Switches which has three options (Green, Orange and Yellow). The mechanical keys are actually pretty good and feel good to type on. There are 5 programmable keys on Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2. A very comfortable detachable wrist rest is provided with this mechanical gaming keyboard as well. The keyboard feels, and looks very premium. You can sync all your other Razer Chroma peripherals with the BlackWidow Chroma, allowing you to create spectacular lighting effects.
- World's fastest RGB mechanical gaming keyboard: Exclusive Romer-G Mechanical Switches with up to 25 percent faster actuation
- Customizable RGB illumination: Personalize individual key lighting from a palette of 16 million colors ; Cable Length (Power/Charging): 6 ft (1.8 m)
- Arx Control App and smartphone dock: Instantly access in-game data on your smartphone or tablet without interrupting the game
- 9 programmable G-keys: Create custom game macros to execute complex commands with lightning speed and accuracy
- Dedicated media controls: One-touch control panel for quick access to play, pause, mute, volume and skip.Android 3.2 or later
Logitech has been making great gaming and programming products for an eternity and for good reason. They make great products. Logitech G910 Orion Spark is the premium flagship offering from Logitech in mechanical gaming keyboards. Built using their propriety Romer-G switches (up to 25% faster actuation) with 9 programmable keys and RGB backlighting. This keyboard also comes with dedicated media controls, a palm rest and also works with Mac OS X. The Arx Control App and smartphone dock is a very cool technology from Logitech. It allows you to access your mobile devices without leaving the confines of your game. All in all, Logitech G910 Orion Spark is a pretty cool piece of technology. It also happens to be a one of the top mechanical programming keyboards around.
- Cherry MX Red Mechanical Keyswitches - The industry standard for a reason. Superior precision, and lightning fast input
- 104 keys, quality assured for 50 million key presses
- Durable aluminum top housing with sanded finish and grease resistant coating. Say goodbye to flimsy plastic keyboards
- 100% Anti-Ghosting with N-Key rollover - no single or multi-input errors
- USB Plug and Play Compatibility - Win 10/Win 8/Win 7/Linux/Vista/Windows Vista, can be used for Mac, Laptop, Notebook, PC
Cherry MX, the makers of only the finest switches also make their own keyboards. The Cherry MX 6.0 is their flagship model. It is built on a beautiful aluminum chassis. This is a wired keyboard that uses Cherry MX Red switches, which is no surprise as that is the switch made for professional gaming. Very little needs to be said about the Cherry MX Red switches as they are of premium quality. This is a very comfortable keyboard to use due to its lower profile and comes with a lovely palm rest. It comes with two color backlight (red and blue) and programmable keys. This is a mechanical keyboard that can be used for gaming and at the office.
- 87-Key US ANSI English Layout
- All 55 gram weighted, 4mm travel Topre Electrostatic Capacitive Key Switches
- Integrated Ten-key Numberpad (outputs true 'Num' keycodes)
- High durability PBT (polybutylene terephthalate) keycaps
- Dimensions: 366 × 169 × 38 mm (14.4 x 6.6 x 1.5in)
Made In Japan by Japanese company Topre, Realforce RGB is a strikingly breathing taking mechanical programming keyboard. Using Topre’s propriety Topre capacitive key switches, this keyboard is a joy to type on and feels like Cherry MX Whites but with a superior tactile feedback. You will barely feel a strain typing on Topre Realforce RGB mechanical keyboard because of how amazingly well it is built. Seriously, typing, gaming, and coding on this give a feeling like no other. The 16.8 million color RGB backlighting makes this keyboard look grandiose. This keyboard is well built and feels very solid. The cable management is lovely and makes sure your wire doesn’t get tangled. This keyboard is simply a work of art. Topre Realforce RGB is probably the most solid feeling programming keyboard in 2020.
- Cherry MX Red Mechanical Gaming Switches
- Reinforced steel back plate construction
- 100% Programmable with SteelSeries Engine
- Fully-programmable keys and macros.Throw Depth:4 mm
- 100% anti-ghosting and 104-key rollover
The SteelSeries Apex M500 is a no-nonsense mechanical gaming keyboard that is also a very affordable option. Made by industry giants in professional gaming products, this keyboard uses Cherry MX Reds. It has programmable keys and has a one color blue LEDs for backlighting. Coming with a minimal design which is very compact, SteelSeries Apex M500 comes with a standard layout that wastes absolutely no space. It goes without saying that this a very well made mechanical gaming keyboard that can also be used at work.
- Corsair’s fastest mechanical keyboard, ever. Keyboard Cable Type: Braided
- 100% anti-ghosting and full key rollover on USB / 100% Cherry MX Speed gaming key switches with ultra-fast 1.2mm actuation and light 45g force
- Aircraft-grade anodized brushed aluminum frame for superior durability / Advanced lighting control and large font keycaps deliver dynamic, vibrant backlighting
- CUE support enables advanced macro and lighting programming for virtually unlimited game customization. Compatibility and System Requirements - PC with 2 USB 2.0 ports Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista
- Detachable soft-touch wrist rest and dedicated multimedia controls / USB pass-through port for easy connections / Textured and contoured FPS/MOBA keycap sets
The Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire is an epic gaming keyboard made to out of the most premium of materials. Featuring Cherry MX Speed gaming key switches for ultra-fast actuation, this keyboard is a badass gaming keyboard. Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire is built on a beautiful aluminum chassis that is very solid and sturdy. The RGB backlighting offers 16.8 million color possibilities and looks absolutely gorgeous. This mechanical gaming keyboard has dedicated multimedia controls which makes changing tracks and volume very easy. The soft wrist rest at the bottom makes gaming very comfortable. This is a keyboard the gamers love and for good reason. The same reasoning is why it is very popular with programmers.
- Cherry MX Brown "tactile bump" Mechanical switches. Gold plated contacts rated at 50 million cycles.
- Full White LED backlighting with 7 levels of brightness adjustment. Onboard memory saves your last lighting preference.
- Nkro/6KRO technology allows any number of keys to be pressed simultaneously over PS/2. 6 keys + modifiers available over USB.
- Hardware-level configurable output modes with built in dip switch.
- Slim case design with multi-channel Cable routing system and detachable Micro USB cable.
WASD Keyboards CODE is an excellent no-nonsense programming keyboard for both PC & Mac. Coming in an all black design, this programming keyboard is very sturdy. The design of this mechanical programming keyboard is very minimal. This actual makes it stand out an looks cool. The keycaps come with a high-quality sharp label on them. They feel very smooth to type on. WASD Keyboards CODE comes with Cherry MX Brown and Cherry MX Blue Key switches. which one you choose is a matter of preference. You cant go wrong with either of them. This programming keyboard comes in full sized and ten key less (TKL) options. There are 7 level of backlighting on this. The cable routing on this programming keyboard is excellent. Though keep in mind that the cable is not braided. WASD Keyboards CODE programming keyboard is compatible with Mac. WASD Keyboards CODE is one of the best programming keyboards for Mac & PC that you can buy in 2018
- Key switch/Number of keys : Cherry MX Brown Switch (tactile feel)/87 keys , US ASCII key arrangement
- Key pitch/Key stroke : 19mm/4 0.5mm , Cable length : 1.5m
- Dimensions/Weight : W356xD135xH33mm(44mm raised up by stand)/980g
- Interface : PS/2,USB (PS/2 interface is available with PS/2 Conversion Adapter)
- Accessories : Windows key (Printing on front face type), FILCO Key Puller
Filco Ninja Majestouch 2 is underrated in how good a programming keyboard it is. This programming keyboard is absolutely minimal and to the point. It doesn’t care much about being trendy or stylish. It is all about giving you the best programming keyboard experience possible. All of the keycaps are minimal and have the characters painted on the side. This makes the keys feel; very smooth. Only three keys are backlit. The Filco Ninja Majestouch 2 uses Cherry MX key switches for the best typing experience. There are options for Cherry MX Brown and Cherry Mx Blue keys. The programming keyboard comes in both full size or ten keyless (TKL) sizes. The cable is very long at 1.5 meters. The build quality of this programming keyboard is simply amazing. It feels sturdy and solid. The feedback on key presses is absolutely stunning. This mechanical programming keyboard also has N key Roll Over (NKRO) on all key presses. There is no question that Filco Ninja Majestouch 2 is one of the best programming keyboards in 2018.
Why do you need a programming keyboard in 2020?
To do the best work, you need the best tools and equipment. A great mechanical programming keyboard can enhance the performance of a programmer. Having a high-quality keyboard provides a great programming experience. Most developers and programmers spend multiple hours daily writing code. This means a lot of keystrokes throughout the day. If you are using a bad keyboard, this can cause you great amounts of stress on your fingers throughout the day. using a great mechanical programming keyboard helps keep your fingers pain free.
The right mechanical programming keyboard can be the difference between you being able to code for hours every day and you get tired of coding in a few minutes. A great mechanical programming keyboard will help the proper use of your great coding skills. There are many great programming keyboards of different styles, builds and types. Some of these keyboards can also be programmed by manufacturer and 3rd party software to perform custom functions. There are so many different kinds of keyboards. Finding the one that works best for you can be a challenge. We’ve created a guide that will help you find the best programming keyboard for you in 2020.
How to choose the best programming keyboard in 2020?
What are the best switches for a programming keyboard in 2020?
One of the biggest difference in programming keyboards is the quality of switches (the keys that you press). Switches are the most important thing about a keyboard. They are the difference between premium and cheap keyboards. Some of them are mechanical (which is the highest quality), while of them are membrane (which is great for the budget). Many companies use their own property brand of keys which are great as well. Cherry MX is by and far the best and most popular premium keyboard switches available. Made in Japan, Topre is another great switch. Topre is not as popular as Cherry MX, but are slowly gaining momentum.
What is the best size for a programming keyboard in 2020?
Programming keyboards come in a few different sizes. The standard layout with all keys is known as full size. Tenkey-less (or TKL) comes with no number keys on the right side. TKL is quickly becoming very popular among programmers. There are also other smaller keyboard sizes, which are categorized as compact. The best size for a programming keyboard depends on you. Personally, the standard layout is how you should go but TKL also works. It really is all a matter of preference.
Do you need Key rollover(KRO) & N-key rollover (NKRO) in a programming keyboard?
Key rollover (KRO) is the ability of a keyboard to register multiple key presses at the same time. N-key rollover (NKRO) keyboards do not have any limitation on how many key presses can be registered at once by the keyboard.This feature is more useful for gamers than programmers. This is a feature all great programming keyboards come with and can be useful from time to time. However, it is not a make or break feature for programming keyboards.
What additional features can you get in a programming keyboard?
The premium programming keyboards generally also come with some style of lighting, RGB for the top tiers to single color backlights for the other tiers. And even though keyboard lighting will not help you get better performance, it does look cool and you can customize it to show you information related to the program you are running. Crazier still, most of these programming keyboards come with processors and memory inside so you can save your profiles and settings on them.
What are the best mechanical programming keyboards in 2020?
We’ve compiled a short list (in no particular order) of the best keyboards for programmers and developers to help you decide. All these programming keyboards are among the best mechanical keyboards available right now. Do keep in mind some of them may not be mechanical but of a comparable quality(as some manufacturers have propriety technology). There are also cheap mechanical keyboards for every kind of budget(under $100). Also be sure to check whether or not these mechanical programming keyboards work on Mac.This list will be updated with the latest and greatest programming keyboards, so remember to bookmark and check back!
Last update on 2020-01-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API